Upgrade from 2007.1 to 2008

bamboccio

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

backup /home and than change the repositories from 2007.1 to 2008.0, use rpmdrake or the update manager to update and then install and run etc-update (from the terminal) to update config files if desired. I if the install gets borked do a fresh install and restore your backed up /home

To add to fifi, I'd recommend installing a program called 'Mondo' from the repositories, and use it to make a backup of your system. It can restore your machine from bare metal, as well as parts of it. That way if the installation stuffs up, or if your like me you manage to crash your computer somewhere in there, you at least have something you can restore to that totally works, then figure out how to try the update again. Good luck.

It is up to you which way.

I tried do upgrade using network connection but my 9 months daughter pressed reset button during this process and my Mandriva got completely crashed (I had not used any backup app). Hence my any future installations will be clean installs from CD or DVD.

I have installed 2008 KDE ONE and do not see problems with Nvidia so far. But I am running 2008 just one day.

Cheers

If half the packages have been updated, and then you find it won't boot, pick a livecd, then chroot into the Mandriva environment, and then start upgrading the rest of the packages ;)

Whilst it might seem trashed, and won't boot, you can still get at it, and run with it. Personally, I would boot with a Mandriva CD and choose rescue mode, and then chroot into my partitions, and continue where I left off.

That said, clean installs are usually best so you don't get conflicts of settings. Minor upgrades, such as from Mandriva 2007.1 to 2008.0 will be much easier, than say from LE2005 to 2008.0. So it's best to to be up-to-date before trying an upgrade as such. This should work either using network mirrors, or CD/DVD media to upgrade.

If by network, do this to make sure all config files are updated:

updatedb
slocate rpmnew

and replace all .conf files with the .conf.rpmnew files. Alternatively, install etc-update and use this to do it automatically for you. Much easier with etc-update.

If you do an upgrade from the Free edition, any non-free packages won't get upgraded.

My *personal* preference would be to do an upgrade network install, following the instructions at http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Installin...or_the_Internet , selecting the upgrade option. That would use a non-free repository and so the non-free packages should be updated. I'm not sure if anyone's actually tested that the NVIDIA drivers are correctly updated when you do an upgrade from 2007.1 to 2008, though - the packaging of them did change somewhat. I think it should work. If not it wouldn't be too hard to fix.

If you do an upgrade from the Free edition, any non-free packages won't get upgraded.

My *personal* preference would be to do an upgrade network install, following the instructions at http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Installin...or_the_Internet , selecting the upgrade option.

Hi Adam,

in the page you linked to it says one should start the upgrade process from booting the computer from a boot.iso image. Where can I find it? It isn't in the 2008 mirrors. Do I need this boot.iso file from 2008 mirror, 2007 mirror, or it doesn't matter?