install Mandriva 2008 from USB CDROM?

joaopa

I have burned two separate copies of the KDE version of One and a copy of the Gnome version and it will not boot on my computer either. When I boot, it goes through the initial menu, then the kernel load, but then spits out errors and drops me into a shell.

Any ideas because this is brand new to any version of LInux, 2007.1, OpenSuse 10.3, Ubuntu whatever have all worked fine from the dvd-rom for installation as my notebooks internal is dead.

Okay, the problem is a apparently nasty kernel-related one that - as it seems- already existed in older releases and is caused by using two different kinds of CD/DVD drives. Back then, a bug was submitted. Might be worth to check bugzilla again. ;)

http://qa.mandriva.com

check this thread: http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=...371471c673b7b93

I can't reproduce it.

Just tried the dualboot 2008.0 mini ISO, as well as the previous beta2 release of the same CD. Both are booting fine from my handmade ND-4551 USB drive, and I can reach the partitioner with no trouble at all.

Is it something specific to your onboard chipset?

Edited by scarecrow

I've installed Mandriva 2008 also from a usb-dvd player.

I downloaded cd-rom 1 en the dvd iso, put the DVD in de usb-DVD en cd 1 in de comp.

started my comp from cd1 and he asked where from installed 2008 i choose fore usb-DVD and it work perfectly

Edited by willie

I've installed Mandriva 2008 also from a usb-dvd player.

I downloaded cd-rom 1 en the dvd iso, put the DVD in de usb-DVD en cd 1 in de comp.

started my comp from cd1 and he asked where from installed 2008 i choose fore usb-DVD and it work perfectly

Well I must be lying then... j/k. Seriously though, I'm sure it's something with my notebook, but something that will unfortunately have me using another version of Linux for the time being.