PSA: NOKEY errors with 2008

adamw

This is for anyone getting NOKEY errors trying to install packages from the online repositories for Mandriva Linux 2008.

The problem was that the pubkey files, which contain the keys used to sign packages in each repository, were missing from the media_info directories in the 2008 tree, so when it was adding the repositories, Mandriva could not get the key for each repository. Since the repository seemed to have no key associated with it, but the packages were signed, when you tried to install any package, Mandriva would give you the NOKEY warning.

This has been fixed on our master mirror around two hours before this post. I have checked several mirrors and found that at the time of writing this post, a couple of mirrors have synced up with the fix already, but most have not.

Once all the mirrors sync up with the fix, the problem will not occur again for anyone adding repositories. However, if you have already set up your repositories, the problem will not be fixed automatically. You must remove your repositories using the repository configuration tool, which can be found in the Mandriva Control Center, or the urpmi.removemedia command line tool. You can then set the repositories up again (using the repository configuration tool, or urpmi.addmedia) and you should no longer see the errors.

I will post a follow-up message when my checks indicate that most mirrors are synced up with the fix.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

Here's the promised follow up:

Following up the previous post on this topic, the issue with missing pubkey files leading to NOKEY errors is now resolved on the majority of mirror servers. The following servers from the list used by the Mandriva tools have been tested and found to be GOOD:

ftp://ftp.mandrake.ikoula.com/Mandrakelinux/official/2008.0

ftp://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.mand...official/2008.0

ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.mandriva.co...official/2008.0

ftp://ramses.wh2.tu-dresden.de/pub/mirror...official/2008.0

ftp://ftp.uwsg.indiana.edu/linux/mandrake/official/2008.0

ftp://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/...official/2008.0

http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/pub/linux/Mandrakel...official/2008.0

ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/linux/distributions...official/2008.0

ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distr...official/2008.0

ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/M...official/2008.0

http://mandriva.dcc.fc.up.pt/official/2008.0

ftp://ftp.pbone.net/pub/mandrakelinux/official/2008.0

ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/official/2008.0

ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandra...official/2008.0

ftp://ftp.ps.pl/mirrors/mandrake/official/2008.0

ftp://ftp.tuniv.szczecin.pl/pub/linux/man...official/2008.0

The following servers have been tested and found to be BAD:

http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/mandrake/official/2008.0

ftp://ftp.rhnet.is/pub/Mandrakelinux/official/2008.0

ftp://ftp.cica.es/pub/Linux/Mandrakelinux/official/2008.0

ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/official/2008.0

ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/mand...official/2008.0

ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/mandrake/official/2008.0

ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/mandrake/Mandrake...official/2008.0

ftp://ftp.nara.wide.ad.jp/pub/Linux/Mandr...official/2008.0

The following servers could not be tested as they were full:

ftp://ftp.u-strasbg.fr/pub/linux/distribu...official/2008.0

ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/2008.0

If you are using one of the servers listed as GOOD, you may be able to resolve the problem by running this command:

urpmi.update –force-key

If you are using one of the servers listed as BAD, or if the –force-key command does not work to resolve the problem, you can resolve the problem by removing your repositories and re-adding them using one of the servers listed as GOOD.

Tomorrow we will test all servers again, and remove those that have still not properly synchronized the fix from the official server list.

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience caused by this issue.

Hello Adam.

What exactly is the Mandriva Linux v2008.0 mini x86 x64 CD ISO of about 734Mbs ???.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere before. It has in the past 2hrs become available on Australia's Telstra Bigpond (ADSL) free software download site.

I was going to download it but I thought I would wait for your reply or in case Bigpond add the DVD in the next few hours which is what I hope.

Cheers. John.

There appears to have been 8 downloads thus far. JB

Edited by AussieJohn

John, this CD is actually TWO installation CD's under the same hood: One for 32-bit and one for 64-bit... that's why it's that big.

The most economical way to install Mandriva 2008 is grabbing the minimal boot.iso image (some 10 megabytes big!) and doing a netinstall. You can even use the Cooker netinstall CD to perform a full STABLE 2008.0 installation!

A netinstall may sound scary, but a. it allows you to download+install just what you want and nothing more than that, and b. Mandriva has HANDS DOWN tha best (and probably smallest!) netinstall CD you can find in ANY distro. Just compare it to Debian's netinstall CD, or SuSE's awful "minimal CD" and you will agree, I believe, about it's simplicity and superiority.

For the record, a dualsystem miniCD existed for 2007.1 as well- it ain't a novelty.

Edited by scarecrow

Thanks for the info Scarecrow.

My interest in the MINI is just out of interest at the moment.

I am not really interested in anything other than the DVD or CD-ROM sets.

Reasons:-

I Have a number of friends that will want their systems upgraded and know little about Linux other than it works for what they want to do.

They also have the minimum download levels of ADSL.

I also have a couple of other people in isolated parts that are looking forward to getting DVDs.

I also often do clean reinstalls as I often experiments and do stuff-ups.

I have already read about the online upgrades and so on but like I said earlier, if I can get the download from Bigpond without out it being counted in my download limit, why would I want to do an upgrade from online when it would wipe out 4Gbs in one hit from my 12Gbs for the month ???. And I would have to do the same again if I screw up the installation somehow.

Cheers. John.

#OFF TOPIC START

#-----------------------

Yeah, I've heard bad things about ADSL speeds and reliability Down Under from many friends who live there...

We aren't ***MUCH*** better here in Greece- in the island I live 2M/256K ADSL is the best one can afford, with no improvement in the foreseeable future. But hey, it was WAY worse just 3-4 years ago! ISDN was the only available net connection, at an incredible price (costed me some eight times more for having 1/30th of the speeds I'm currently enjoying).

#-----------------------

#OFF TOPIC END

Edited by scarecrow

A final message on the NOKEY issue: all mirrors in the official list are now okay with the sole exception of ftp.cica.es. Any other mirror proposed by the Mandriva repository configuration tools should now be okay. As mentioned in the previous message, if you have already set up your repositories and are encountering the NOKEY issue, you will need to either run ‘urpmi.update -a –force-key’ as root or remove and re-add your repositories to stop the errors from showing up in future. Once again, we’re sorry for this inconvenience.

John, the mini CD basically installs (via the traditional installer, it's not a live hybrid like One) a minimal functioning system (with X and a very basic IceWM desktop, and the Mandriva tools). It's intended for people who like to customize their installation - the idea is you install from the mini CD and then add on the packages you want via urpmi. As Scarecrow said, the single CD contains both i586 and x86-64 versions, so you can see how small they are :)

The most economical way to install Mandriva 2008 is grabbing the minimal boot.iso image (some 10 megabytes big!) and doing a netinstall. You can even use the Cooker netinstall CD to perform a full STABLE 2008.0 installation!

Hmmm...yes, for the record, I don't recommend going through cooker...

Did that the beginning of the week, hours before 2008.0 was released officially, and found a few bugs...mainly in the upgrade install to the official 2008.0 version. All my permissions were stuffed, and I couldn't log into anything except root through startx -- :1. Just finished a netinstall now, a clean install, and couldnt be happier. Minimal bugs fixed, and it took no more than 2G of download... Sooooo happy. Probably the cooker has changed now, and you can get the official stable version....lol. Anyway, will definitely use netinstall after this!

Hooray.

Bigpond has come good again as usual. In the last hour it has put up the DVDiso. :woot_jump:

Have already started the download and it seems 8 or more other people have already started downloading as well. :thumbs:

Great work Telstra Bigpond. :thumbs:

Cheers. John.