Mandriva 2008 first impressions

ilia_kr

Short reply to my message above....

the plugin I referred to is called 'expo'.

Some more things that went missing:

- 3d distance between windows when going to cube mode.

- no way to turn off lighting when using the cube - I liked how you could see the backside of windows and such, now it's all so dark...

Perhaps due to the font server change, glest won't start. You have to edit the file ~/.glest/glest.ini and exchange the string 'utopia' with a * to fix it. I tried putting a fontname there, no joy...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To use iwl3945 you would need a line like this in /etc/modprobe.conf :

alias pci:v00008086d00004222sv*sd*bc*i* iwl3945

change '4222' to your PCI device ID, which you can get by doing this:

[root@lenovo etc]# lspcidrake -v | grep NET

bcm43xx : Broadcom Corporation|BCM4312 802.11a/b/g [NETWORK_OTHER] (vendor:14e4 device:4312 subv:14e4 subd:0466)

8139too : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.|RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ [NETWORK_ETHERNET] (vendor:10ec device:8139 subv:17aa subd:2093)

as you can see, the device IDs there are 4312 (for the wireless) and 8139 (for the wired). You don't care about the vendor ID (that *is* in the string - it's the 8086 - but that'll always be 8086 for Intel, so you don't need to worry about it) or the subv and subd, which aren't used in this case.

Yes, you would have considerable difficulty figuring this out from a standing start...it's the new PCI coldplug stuff.

First brief impressions of 2008 One running as a live CD:

This is the first live CD _ever_ to correctly recognise that my laptop screen is 1400x1050 and set the resolution properly! It just worked! No other distro has managed that before!

Setting up the urpmi sources was a breeze, rpmdrake didn't crash or behave weirdly, and I did a test install of xvidcap which went perfectly (I could never get that thing to capture any video in 2007.1). Even the battery meter works right away, multiple keyboard layouts worked fine.

Overall it looks good and behaves well, gave a good first impression. :thumbs:

Minor niggles included a relatively slow boot (compared to other live CDs), a missing Filelight menu entry after I'd installed it, and a failure to shut down (needed a finger on the button). I assume the start/shutdown niggles would go away after an install, and I can make my own menu entries for the missing apps. So thumbs up Mandriva dudes!

Sorry, may sound stupid but: Choose a different theme?

In my opinion "plastic" is the nicest theme for kde that is available and i don't want to use another. Or, i could use Gnome.

The problem is not in in the theme, but in kcontrol as i understand, because it doesn't remember my choice after i turn shadows off.

Guest kc1di-qrp

downloaded and installed 2008 One. So far am very pleased with all. Do still think that the panel bar could use some more work desktops could be smaller and the lock and logout buttons could be stacked instead of side by side. also menu button could still be a tad smaller.

The only other problem i had was that there was still a bug in recognizing and setting up my HP all in one printer and scanner.. found a work around but this was a bug that showed up in 2007.1 and should have been fixed by now.

any way it looks like a very solid release and will enjoy using it.

cheers.

The only other problem i had was that there was still a bug in recognizing and setting up my HP all in one printer and scanner.. found a work around but this was a bug that showed up in 2007.1 and should have been fixed by now.
Have you checked to see if this bug has been reported? If not, you should report it.

the lock and logout buttons could be stacked instead of side by side. also menu button could still be a tad smaller.

These are simple cosmetic details that 'you' can change. In defense of Mandriva, it's impossible to make one GUI that looks good to everyone. :)

You can remove the lock and logout buttons from the panel, and there are a couple of threads here about changing the large menu button.