Mandriva Linux 2008 now available

adamw

What errors are you getting from the mirrors exactly? I can't tell what's wrong without precise error messages. Thanks.

I'm getting e.g. this from gui (and yesterday all the repos were working fine):

post-13785-1192211816_thumb.png

Edited by dude67

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I sort of have... I have the official sources from a different source than the plf ones. And then there is the second PC, I believe (not 100% sure though) I have different sources.

I could change them, but now I'm thinking of waiting a couple of days and then if it doesn't come around I'll change sources.

Yesterday I updated my second PC with the update choice from 2007.1 into 2008. That was OK I guess even though it took something like 2 to 3 hours to do so (from the DVD). Is that normal?

What I did at first (before the update from DVD) was update the sources to 2008 even though I was still running 2007.1 (removing all the sources before that with urpmi.removemedia -a). I didn't update anything though (exept the sources); as I decided I would update from DVD.

After the update I updated all the sources (with easy-urpmi and with the "no key -safe" sources that Adam posted) to 2008 and it all was updated in a second. I just thought that my updating the sources before the update of the system would have been carried over through the upgrade process from 2007.1 to 2008.

I tried to see if I had all the components updated OK, I couldn't connect to the sources.

These problems continued with this particular PC and I decided to install it anew. Just leaving /home partition as it was.

This time everything went smoothly and there were no hiccups. Before that - when I had upgraded from 2007.1 - I noticed that MCC looked different from my other PC with 2008. Well it looked like 2007.1. There is a slight difference in the lay-out of MCC screens etc.

Now the update went smoothly. I easy-urpmi'ed new sources and managed to get all the updates available. This was something I was unable to do in my upgraded installation of 2008.

I don't know what went wrong initially with the upgrade process, but I can recommend the full installation path (without formating the /home partition - if you want to keep your personal stuff)!

The Australian Bigpond website has twice put up Mandriva 2008 Free DVD i586 iso that comes up in K3B as not an ISO 9660

I have downloaded it three times so far and been the same each time. Site shows 297 downloads. I am positive there is nothing wrong with my system because in the middle of all this I downloaded the 64 bit DVD version and it burned correctly and booted correctly. Naturally it wouldn't install, as was expected.

I hate to think of all those downloaders who are likely having the same trouble as I am and likely blaming Mandriva as being faulty and too hard to deal with.

I have emailed Bigpond to point out the problem and am waiting for a response.

Is it likely that the mirror source that Bigpond has used is at fault with a corrupted iso file???. I don't know who it is.

And to think I was so jubilant about Bigpond putting up 2008.

So far it has been a disaster and yet I don't think Bigpond is to blame.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Aussiejohn: Bigpond is certainly at fault in some way, they should at least check the md5sum (which is widely available) before putting the file up for download. I'm not aware of any mirror which has a corrupted copy of the ISO, if anyone finds one, please let me know so I can contact the mirror maintainer.

Hello adam.

They actually show checksums. Could I ask you pretty please have a look at the snapshot.

The sum doesn't match the sum that K3B showed when it scanned the iso and gave the Not a ISO9660.

Cheers. John.

Adam. Bigpond has finally come through.

At 1.00 PM I downloaded Mandriva 2008 again, although nothing looked anything different on the site, and by 9.30 PM it was completed. Download figures are getting close to 400 but I have no idea how many are redos same as I did.

Successfully burnt to disc this time with no troubles at all. Have installed Mandriva2008 now and presently working from it. :thumbs:

Printer was quickly setup by Mandriva with practically no participation on my part. Initial attempt to set up Firewire Scanner not successful but haven't spent any effort on it yet. The back button on my Logitech Mouse doesn't work although it did automatically with the last 3 versions of Mandriva with no setting up required.

Was good to see XMMS included on the disc again.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Hello Adam.

Mine is a "slightly" earlier Mouseman Dual Optical mouse. The scroll wheel works AOK.

About the xorg. conf, I will come back to you in a short while since I am in my regular Mandriva-Spring at the moment

Cheers. John.

I am back in 2008.

Attached snapshot of xorg.conf

Edited by AussieJohn