Mandriva Linux 2008 now available

adamw

So far I'm so happy with 2008! I installed through cooker just a few days ago, and have been playing with it since. Awesome job guys! My only real complaint is with updating through the mirrors. I changed the sources as soon as I could from cooker, and now have them pointing to ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrakelinux...0/i586/media/... for the main releases and ftp://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/...driva/2008.0/... for PLF packages. I had to do this through easyurpmi.zarb however, as the 'Configure Media' tab wouldn't work for me. Any ideas why? Just kept saying it couldn't find any media... was wondering if this was a problem due to cooker. Also, now when I try to add media through 'Configure Media', (have been playing around with a few different mirrors), the distribution sources work fine, but if I click on official I get an error message saying there doesn't appear to be any media, and this might be a problem with my architecture... Any thoughts on this?

Last question, is there any reason to update from cooker to the official release, and if so can I do it with an upgrade rather than a reinstall.(have been using ftp to install, so much easier) I upgraded to 2008 from 2007.1 with a clean install, barring my home partition. Thanks for you help, and 2008.0 is really cool!

:D

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

for now if you want to download 2008 it's probably best to go with the torrents - http://torrent.mandriva.com/public - anyway. the mirrors will be getting overloaded.

Hello guys! I've been downloading Mandriva 2008.0 via torrent for about 20 hours or so. It really is the best way to get it right know, as some people trying to use FTP have a max speed at 4-5 KB/s. My average download speed exceeds 34KB/s (58% at the moment).

Just can't wait to get my hands on it :D All of the reviews I read so far were very positive, so hope it would be a very stable system.

I have also one question, because news on the web were sometimes opposing. Which version of X.org Mandriva has, 7.2 or 7.3? It's really crucial to me, as there aren't any AMD/ATI drivers for 7.3 (and probably have to wait couple more months or so, like the last time :wall: ), and I'm impatiently waiting for the ET:QW Linux installer, which will be released in few weeks time probably :P As you can see I would prefer 7.2 at the moment :D

neddie: no, you're quite right, it's just the 'mandriva.com not really finished' thing again as we discussed elsewhere. if you check the page today you should notice the Bittorrent link is more prominent (and also, the FTP / HTTP site download code actually works, always a good thing :>)

zibi: the X.org in 2008 is a hybrid of 7.2 and 7.3, really. Since X.org is modular these days that's entirely feasible and indeed most distros releasing in this cycle have bits of both. There are bits of 7.2 and bits of 7.3 in there.

However, you don't need to worry about the ATI driver. It's packaged for Mandriva in the official non-free repository, and if you use the One edition of 2008 it should automatically use the non-free driver right out of the box, nothing needed on your end. If you use the Free edition, it won't, as Free contains only free / open source software. However, you can enable the non-free repository after installation - see http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Basic_tas...tions_available - and then run through the graphics card configuration tool again, re-selecting your card family. It will then ask if you want to use the proprietary driver. Tell it you do, then restart X or just reboot, and you should be ready. :)

Thanks for your reply adamw :)

I know that there is a non-free driver available in the repositories, but I prefer to use proprietary because of it's better performance. As I wrote above I'm planning to play ET:QW on my Mandriva soon, and I need the most efficient driver to get max FPS possible, cause I have rather low/medium-end computer. Do You think that these drivers will work correctly with the new hybrid X.org in Mandriva 2008.0?

Edited by zibi1981

I know that there is a non-free driver available in the repositories, but I prefer to use proprietary because of it's better performance.

Adam is trying to tell you that the proprietary driver is available in the non-free repos. All you have to do is follow his instructions. :)

I'm using it with an ATI card on my laptop with excellent results.

Did I tell everyone that Telstra Bigpond has done themselves proud once again (as usual) and has put up the 2008 iso on its download site during the past hour or so. :thumbs: :thumbs:

I happily started the download 22 minutes ago. :D

Once again thanks Bigpond if someone from there happens to see this MUB site.

This is a question to ALL mub members out there. Does your ISP offer such a service ???. I really would like to know. If they don't then perhaps suggest to them the Telstra Bigpond example. I am positive that a lot of Windows users learn about Linux for the first time and that there is something other than Microsoft, when they see the Linux and other Open Source stuff offered among the Wndows oriented material.

Cheers. John.

Mods or Admins. If you think this post should be separated then please do so. J.

Edited by AussieJohn

Do you know if there is a problem with the repos at the moment (and some 12 hours ago)?

I did a clean install (exept for the /home partition) from the DVD on this machine and updated the sources OK.

Yesterday I updated my second PC with the update choice from 2007.1 into 2008. That was OK I guess even though it took something like 2 to 3 hours to do so (from the DVD). Is that normal?

What I did at first (before the update from DVD) was update the sources to 2008 even though I was still running 2007.1 (removing all the sources before that with urpmi.removemedia -a). I didn't update anything though (exept the sources); as I decided I would update from DVD.

After the update I updated all the sources (with easy-urpmi and with the "no key -safe" sources that Adam posted) to 2008 and it all was updated in a second. I just thought that my updating the sources before the update of the system would have been carried over through the upgrade process from 2007.1 to 2008.

I tried to see if I had all the components updated OK, I couldn't connect to the sources.

The same now applies to this PC (the first 2008 installation) and I cannot connect to the sources.

Is this due to the sources beeing unavailable (jammed because of the traffic) or is it something else? Should I re-install the second PC as a full installation and not just update from 2007.1?

Do you know if there is a problem with the repos at the moment (and some 12 hours ago)?

I try (on my 2007.1) to download BitTorrent program through the urpmi (so I can download the 2008 edition), and unable to do it for the last day (connection to the repo too slow, or databases locked, depends when I try).