Failure to boot after install [solved]

xboxboy

Hi guys,

Trying to complete something I set out to do ages ago, get mandrake running on my Xbox. Install seemed to go ok. But it fails during boot. The screen makes it hard to read the very left column, so I have lost some of the letters. Anyway here is the last few lines before it stalls.

..iserfs version 3.6.25

..otroot: pivot_root (/sysroot, /sysroot/initrd) fail:2

..ounting devfs at correct place if neccesary

..ounted devfs on /dev

..eing unused kernal memory: 132K freed

..rnel panic: No init found. Try passing init=option to kernal

(sorry if i have mis spelled anything)

Could my installation disc have caused this? I installed it ages ago, but like i said it seemed to go fine. I have had it running on my pc fine, but this is a genuine Xbox version...

Any help at all is most appreciated,

Thanks people.

Ok, I done some more research. Obviously the kernel is looking for the init file, now i used a different partitioning setup (cos i added a larger hard drive).

a. Does this mean I need to reconfigure the kernel? Or can i just modify the boot file? Im not sure what boot manager it uses.

b. It boots from dvd, and then you should be able to remove (eject actually) the dvd. Is the init install on the hard drive or the boot disk?

Thanks all

Edited by xboxboy

on the boot disk is a file called linuxboo.cfg. It contains

kernel vmlinuz

initrd initrd

append root=/dev/hda1 devfs=mount kbd-reset

does this "root=/dev/hda1" have to be changed to suit where I intstalled the linux on my hard drive?

• 2 weeks later...

If the install is done automatically it is installed to drive f: I choose not to as I would loose all drive f info.

My file manager program on my xbox shows the C: as partition 2, and E: drive as partition 1. The linux was installed to drive E. Should i make "root=dev/hd2" so that C: is my root?

I am confused, as the linux appears to be installed on hda1, but doesnt work when this is the root.

I am sorry Matthew, while I understand to some degree what initrd does I am afraid I can't really help you much on it since I am not a techie.

I also have no knowledge or experience with xboxes so I can't contribute anything there either.

I am sure someone will come your way though so just keep plodding on..

Cheers. John.

I think you would be better off working with a distribution specifically designed to run on the xbox: http://www.xbox-linux.org/

I have no experience with installing Linux on an xbox, but my friend does, I'll see if I can convince him to drop by and take a look at your questions.

The version of mandrake 9.0 I have was specifically for the xbox, but I have just found out it was not compatible with all versions of the xbox. www.xbox-linux.org did offer mandrake sometime ago, but is practically obselete for this reason, there are other distros with far better compatibility now.

I may have to get my hands on another distro, and work with that....might have to give up on mandrake 9.0.

I've done some more research :)

I've found that the later xbox kernels will run my xbox. I've never gone past being a noob user with mandrake/mandriva (had mandrake 9.0 on pc until HD crashed...got a copy of 08 (Thanks Aussie John) waiting for more RAM before i install 08 though).

I've searched but had no luck on how to incorporate the newer updated kernel into the install. Is this even possible? If so can someone point me in the right direction or even to the relevant topic?

Thanks all.

• 1 year later...

I should have updated this some time ago. The edition I was trying to use (Mandrake 9.0) was found to only boot on version 1.0 of the xbox. Mine was not a version 1.0 so would never have worked.

I got my hands on 2005LE but never had any luck with that either. Searching forums shows that Mandriva may have had some configuration issues, some got it to work, but a lot didn't.

The APC (Australian Personal Computer) magazine had a copy of Gentoox 7.1 on the bonus disc. I had to install twice, but it loads up to a XFCE GUI.

Oh, how things have progressed....I've been getting sulky with my dual core pentium here..But after booting into my XBOX, I'll stick with what I got a little longer.

So, Gentoox is Gentoo modified to run on the xbox. So my problem is finally solved!