Mandriva Freezes on RAM upgrade [solved]

madarnie

Hi!

I upgraded RAM of one of my machines from 256MB to 1GB. But my mandriva freezes after uncompressing Linux stage. I tried other distros as well as Live CDs like Knoppix but things are same. Where as a copy of Windows is running well on upgraded RAM. When I remove 1GB RAM the system boots with Mandriva.

Please help.

We need more info about your hardware, and Mandriva version, to help you. Is the new memory module (or modules) the same as the old, e.g., Single-bank, Double-bank, speed? Did you add it to the other existing memory, or replace it?

Welcome to the board! :)

Thanks. I have HP Compaq SR1230IL machine. 2.8 Ghz P4 processor. 845 motherboard. The new memory is Hynix 1gb ddr pc 400. Older RAM was Samsung.

I tried adding it to the existing memory as well as removed the old one. But machine can run well on old 256MB. I have done memtest for new RAM. Test was OK

I am running Mandriva 2007. But I cannot run any of the other Live CDs including Knoppix as well :(

The machine runs well on Windows with 1GB RAM

Arnie

Thanks. I have HP Compaq SR1230IL machine. 2.8 Ghz P4 processor. 845 motherboard. The new memory is Hynix 1gb ddr pc 400. Older RAM was Samsung.

Here's the specs for your mb: hp.com

Here's what 'could' be the specs for your memory (I don't have a model #): hynix.com

So your mb uses a 'maximum' of 1 GB of PC2700/PC2100, and it appears that your memory is PC3200?

Can you change the speed in your BIOS? Is the new memory recognized by your BIOS?

although i havent ever had a system not work because the ram i put in was TOO good, there is always a 1st time

However I have had MANY systems that wont work with bad ram.

you can run all the sw ram tests you want, but until you run a HW test your just guessing. my advice, return the ram, get the proper speed and all should be good. if the vendor needs a reason for return, let them know that you tried X # of Os's and none of them would load (forget about mentioning windows)

I have seen MANY instances where windows will load and run, for a little while, with bad ram, especially if its the upper registeres of the memory that are bad.

windows wont use it, until you put a HEAVY load on it, then it TOO will go up in smoke.

where as linux does a better job of managing upper registers it wants EVERYTHING to be good, all the way to the TOP!

As per HP Compaq my motherboard supports only 1GB of RAM and they say to find how much memory should be added per slot, divide the total memory with the number of slots. I have 2 slots so does that mean I cannot use 1GB RAM in a slot and instead go for a pair of 512-512 RAM each slot?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...mp;lang=en#N320

Please suggest!

Hello Madarnie. A big welcome to MUB.

I fully support Gregs advice .

Where possible you are best advised to use dual sticks such as two 512mbs preferably matched i.e. the same brand, type and rating etc. Corsair actually do this in the lab in their Twinex range, that is how important it is.

Even though Memory now days is extremely reliable and good quality branded ones have a life time warranty they can still get uppity. When they do and you only have one stick then you are stuck until you get it replaced. Two sticks also make it easier to do diagnose when having a problem, by using one at a time since two simultaneous stick failure is so rare. ( though still possible.)

It is important and essential to make sure that the Memory speed set in the bios is equal to or LOWER than the rating speed of the memory.

Cheers. John.

But my only concern remains that while my old Windows runs fine on this new 1GB RAM, why is Linux (Mandriva) failing? I did the memtest it was fine. So this is not something good. Can someone help me understand why Mandriva has issues with hardware while Windows can handle it?

Arnie

It is just that Microsoft is just like an old 'banger" old time engine and Linux is a modern engineered racing engine.

In the old banger you can throw in anything that resembles combustible fuel but in the Linux racing engine you need the correct fuel for it.

Its not a correct analogy but I hope you get the idea.

Put another way......Windows has an extremely broad design spec (not sure about the "design" bit though) hence it is full of security holes and so on.

Linux on the other hand has a very tight design spec that gets to be made more precise every day. It is this approach that makes Linux superior to Windows in every aspect.

The important thing is that the two systems use Memory differently. There are a number of articles I have seen and read on this topic but have not memorized because to me I had other more important things to try and remember. I think if you search in MUB you will find an explanation.

Cheers. John.

But my only concern remains that while my old Windows runs fine on this new 1GB RAM, why is Linux (Mandriva) failing?

weird indeed

you are sure windows detect the 1Gb (you did not test with 1 Gb + 256 MB and windows

would have just worked on the 256 MB only?)

you could try to boot with the mandy dvd and perform a reinstall (upgrade) this should do next to nothing

and should redetect the 1 Gb only ram module in place

Maybe there is a conflict with the swap size (unlikely)

failing?

can you be more precise, maybe nothing to do with the ram!

Yes. Mandriva and other Linux distros are not running on 1GB. I have updated my BIOS, but to no avail. Today Mandriva 008 is out. I installed it and its running well. But older distros along Knoppix dont run, unless I turn off the 'apci' settings.

So, the RAM is OK but there is some issues with distros to recognize it.

Arnie