DNS setup on mandriva 2007 spring

Guest iceberg

Guest iceberg

I had a mandriva 2007 spring which i'd like to set it up as a web & mail server, somehow i just got stuck with dns problem from webmin. I had already installing BIND packets & the latest webmin, suddenly while i have done setting up those ip, domain,etc

i click on apply setting.... and here goes nothing... :oops:

webmail could not saving my those configurations that i have made, the error message is :

Could not find BIND PID in /var/run/named.pid

Then i tried to looking for that file, and the result is nothing... there is no such files named.pid in /var/run

I don't get it... it is very different from mandriva 2006 to setting up a web server,

Is there anybody could help me on this please... :wall:

You don't need to have bind installed just to run a box as a web and/or mail server. The only exception to this would be if you were talking about ISP-style traffic levels, in which case a local cacheing-only DNS server would help with performance.

If your project deadlines will allow it, I'd also recommend learning to set up Apache and Postfix/Exim/Sendmail, (shudder) or whatever your preferred MTA is, without resorting to webmin. It will be more work, but you'll be glad of the extra skills later in your sysadmin career! :-)

As you have Mandriva, just install the drakwizard package, and then go into System/Configure/Configure Your Computer. You will then have wizards for configuring apache, postfix, ftp, dns or whatever else you want.

However, I concur with Phil - you're better off doing it all from command line, and learning what you're putting. The first time you do it, you won't really understand what you're doing, but once you've done it - if something's not working, you'll know where the problem is.

Imagine this - my first mail server, with web server and DNS was on Gentoo! Now that was a learning curve, but worth every bit of it!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest iceberg

I am agree with those suggestion, but i am very newbie on linux. I really appreciate if there is anybody could help me to setup a mail, web & DNS server using CLI with mandriva 2007.1 spring.... :help:

Thanks everybody

Hmm, not asking for much then ;)

There are loads of guides all over the internet, have a go with google. It's not easy to do by the way. I did it on Gentoo and the whole document is 18 pages long!!!

Web server is easy, as you just install it, and make sure all your http stuff is in /var/www/localhost or /var/www/htdocs depending on what you've got. Just go into the directory after installing Apache and you'll see where the index.html exists, and then you just put all your stuff here. If you're doing php as well, you need to ensure php is installed also. Plenty of guides out there for this.

DNS is also easy enough as you just need to create a zone file, and this will work fine for internal use. Plenty of guide on the internet for this.

Mail will be a little more difficult depending on what you're wanting to achieve. Again google, it's all out there! There's no set way to do everything, you need to figure out what you're trying to achieve first. Following the guides will help you do it. Google is your friend here.