help with easyurpmi.zarb

prost

I have seen http://easyurpmi.zarb.org

Any way of downloading files & copying them before installation? If so, I use Mandriva 2007. will the files work for future Mandriva's?

I downloaded the first file using the "urpmi.addmedia main rsync://ftp.esat.net/ftp/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/official/2007.0/i586/media/main/release with media_info/hdlist.cz"

command as instructed from the above website - how do I get a copy of it?

It will be located locally, possibly in /var/cache/urpmi although I've not got a Mandriva system to hand to double-check this.

If you choose compressed index when adding the sources, the files are very small, and therefore you wouldn't need to worry about copying them. However, they are only in relation to the version you chose originally. Therefore, if you selected sources for Mandriva 2007.0, then it will only work for 2007.0. It won't work for later versions, so you'll have to download 2008.0 sources when they become available, and then in theory you could copy these from one system to another. These files don't automatically update to new versions, you have to add new sources each time there is a new release, but first removing the old sources so as not to get confused as to which version of packages it should be installing.

Hello Prost. I presume that is your photo. Great to see another fine lady joining the growing number of femme members here at MUB. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

To my mind there is no real advantage in trying to do as you are hoping.

You are far better off doing the easy-urpmi routine fully on even a small number of machines. Of course if you have a dozen or more machines to do then that can be a big time consumer.

Also by doing the machines separately you will be able to see which mirror site gives you the fastest speeds when downloading by using a different site for each one.

Cheers. John.

All your hdlists get saved in /var/lib/urpmi and named according to what you named your sources. For example, the one you showed would be hdlist.main.cz

And you might be misunderstanding what the hdlists actually do. When a mirror updates what packages they have available, the hdlist changes, which is why you have to have to do urpmi.update -a if you get an error downloading a package. In that case, your local copy thinks there is supposed to be package-1.75.rpm, according to your local hdlist, but the mirror actually now has package-1.77.rpm and the way to sync your hdlist with theirs is to urpmi.update <<name of media>> or urpmi.update -a for all.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire