Old kernels [solved]

1. Once I'll have upgraded my system to next Mandriva release (2008?) what will happen to old kernels? Will they be removed by new release?

2. Do I need to remove old kernels and packages related to because there is no need of them anymore? How do I do that, using MCC > software tool?

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

If you do an upgrade there is likely to be the original kernels and maybe the new kernels ( not sure on that). Of course a clean install which is the most recommended course of action, will only have the new version.

First, click on KDE Control Centre and just look at the opening page and on it you will see what kernel is actually being used.

But when you open MCC and look at installed packages, type <kernel> in the search box and click enter.

This will bring up a list of everything with the word kernel in it. If the one previously shown in KCC is the older one of a couple of listed ones then you need to go to the MCC section titled Boot and select the newest one and then reboot.

In MCC in installed packages you can delete the old kernel (and old kernel-source as well) by just checking it (ticking it) and then clicking apply. It is pretty fool proof because if you try to uninstall any packages necessary to run the system, you will get a warning of the dire consequences.

But once again I would recommend you do Clean Mandriva installs until you gain more experience at running Mandriva.

Cheers. John.

Thanks John,

You made things clearer. I was thinking in this way, clean install.

What happend before at my first installation (this is second attempt to use mandriva): I had installed all updates/upgrades and kernel 2.6.21-5 for some reasons. I do not remember why but I think because there were independencies from some package which I wanted to install. So I got 3 kernels at one time: 2.6.17-13, 2.6.17-15 and 2.6.21-5. I think it caused some harm to my system, I was not able to work even if I chose older kernels to boot.

Now, instead of any updates/upgrades I will just wait for new release.

From one hand Linux gives more flexibility to manage cystem. But from other hand sometimes it confuses dummies.

I was not afraid of Linux :P. It just new thing for me remembering my first meeting of :pc: (Windows of course).

And I like to learn and solve issues (try to solve) when I face them anywhere. :ph34r:

And I am going to involve my wife but only thing is matter :wacko: : she cannot watch tv because of known drivers bug with saa7134, which hopefully will be solved in future release :dance: .