2 TB RAID Showed Correct At Setup But Not After?

kjv1611

I can only think that you may have formatted the partition but not chosen a mount point, which is why you could never mount it. Either that or the kernel didn't support a drive bigger than 1TB.

Did some more tinkering last night, and didn't have time to actually install it, but I changed the configuration of the RAID card for now. I set it to 2 arrays - one RAID 3, one RAID 1 - giving a total of 1.5 TB, 1 TB RAID 3, and 500GB RAID 1.

Mandriva does appear to be limited to 1TB total capacity. So, I may just stick with Mandriva for now, and use the 1TB and 500GB, hoping that in another year they'll support more than 1TB.

Another alternative, is try fdisk or cfdisk from the command prompt and see what this shows.

fdisk -l

that's a lowercase L will list the disks and give you the sizes it sees.

Thanks for that info! I've got some more detailed info in another forum suggesting the same thing.

Gparted showed all negatives for the RAID 3 setup last night. And according to what I read in some other online forums, it looks like Gparted has some sort of memory stack overflow or something happening causing the negative numbers to show up. Hopefully I can use fdisk to get the job done. We shall see. If possible, I'll try it late this afternoon, or else this evening after 9pm or so.. (EDT)

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to supply an update/FYI for my progress/situation at this time:

I have enjoyed my learnings in Linux, and have really liked Mandriva so far.

However, because I frankly cannot willingly put enough trust in Linux and my understanding of it together for now, I am going to give up on this project for now. I've worked on this whole project for many months now, with just one obstacle after another. I have much more important things to be working on, so I just really don't have the time.

Eventually, what I want to do at this point is to use a virtual pc istance and/or a spare computer of old parts for a Linux box for learning. Then maybe one day I'll learn enough to be comfortable enough to setup a whole server in Linux.

Besides, since most of my computing time has been on Windows machines, it's REALLY hard for me to get away from all the automatic features, such as recognizing new hardware - USB drives, and such, and not having to type a bunch of different commands just to get something to work. Windows just works, so I'm going to stick with Windows for now as my server OS, at least. I'm trying Windows Home Server right now - well, sort of in the middle of that. I've read great things about it. I don't have the time to spend full time hours just working on my own personal server at home - I've got a full time job, a family, and I am very involved with my church (handle the bulk of the audio ministry for our church, I designed, and do the maintenance for our church website, and try to help in other areas). With all of that, I simply cannot devote anymore time to my Linux project unfortunately.

One day.... one day, it'll happen. :D