KDE4 kstartupconfig issue

{BBI}Nexus{BBI}

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to resolve this kstartupconfig error message in order to successfully start KDE4?

edit: The full message is: Could not start kstartupconfig. Check your installation.

Edited by {BBI}Nexus{BBI}

Hi Nexus, I haven't tried KDE4, but recently I installed the kde base files alongside an existing Gnome system. Initially I got the same error message when I tried to start KDE, although Gnome still worked fine. Found out that the default KDE installation (and perhaps any desktop manager being installed alongside an already existing system) is for root, which is why I was unable to log in. Try giving your .kde folder user permissions. It should be at /home/"user"/.kde

I used chmod 777 -Rv /home/mitchell/.kde and was then able to log in fine. I think 777 was overkill for permissions, bearing in mind you're only giving them to the users local .kde folder. 700 would likely be better. Good luck, and let us know how it works!

~Mitchell

Well I tried Gregs suggestion, unfortunately the problem still reamains :( I even created a few new accounts and tried initialising KDE4 with those, they all had the same kstartupconfig problem. Thanks again to all of you who submitted suggestions :)

• 10 months later...
Guest G3N1USS
Try as root
chown -R username:users /home/username

and

chmod 644 -R /home/username

replacing username with the name you'er using.

Greg, I did as you said but now I can't login at all!!! It's terrible. How can I return initial state of my system? How can I cancel the changes?

Edited by G3N1USS

The main thing here is, don't panic! :)

If you're using cooker as one user only: Please try as root

chown -R username:users /home/username

and

chmod 764 -R /home/username

replacing username with the name you're using. Please let us know if that works?

Welcome aboard! :)