How to Create MS shortcut LNK files?

Hello,

I manage a team and our files are stored on a Samba share. All use Windows; I'm the only one currently using Linux as my desktop.

As things are, I have to be able to create windows shortcuts, which are of two kinds: LNK files (to drives) and URL files (to web). URL files are simple text files, and I could easily create a script that would create such shortcuts. I cannot however create LNK files as easily.

After searching the web in vain for a Linux native application, I decided the simplest and easy method would be to create those shortcuts using any filemanager under Wine... How wrong I was!

I was unable to find any open-source or even freeware filemanager that can create shortcuts AND runs under Wine!

Please help!

Yves.

Are you interested in creating NTFS hardlinks, or "junctions"? (a poor equivalent to the Unix softlinks).

Both can be done with Total Commander (shareware, but uncrippled and never expiring) and the right addons.

Total Commander installs fine under wine, and most of its functionality remains intact.

Thanks scarecrow, I'll try Total Commander. And indeed, those LNK files are just binary files intended to be understood only by Windows' Explorer.

The reason is such: Our quality plan requires that each document's name starts with 3 letters (type of doc) and 2 digits, going from 01 up to whatever we need. Documents are scattered over many folders, yet our team need to synchronize so that no two documents of the same type have the same number. Thus we created a special directory where we put shortcuts to all our documents as we create them, with a double achievement:

- we can be sure that each document is the only one having its number,

- we can double-click any shortcut to open any document, wherever it is actually stored.

Yves.