2008 release date

tf1

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is supposed to hit the mirrors late this week or early next week afaik. They are fixing the last show-stoppers right now. It is always better to wait a few days and release a reasonably stable system than rushing things and having a rather bug-riddled release that will give you bad pr. Jmho

arctic: I've always run GNOME, and I don't see any problem with it at the moment. I don't know what's up with your setup, but...it's not a general problem...

and yes, there's still some very last-minute fixes going on at the moment, I saw a changelog for Evince go through a minute ago...

Hmm... maybe I am once again the one person that runs into problems with gnome. But honestly, adam: I have ran into annoying Gnome-bugs in Mdv2006 (nautilus burner buggy), 2007 (infrequent change of file-ownership), 2007.1 (gdm buggy) and now 2008 (nautilus eating all cpu infrequently; Gnome 2.20 desktop reacts slower compared to Gnome 2.16 and 2.18).

I don't think that it is a problem with my hardware as I run fedora and debian testing on the same hardware and there I never ran into these problems (except the nautilus burner delay, but that well known bug was fixed in a few days in fedora). KDE has been very solid on my Mandriva test-systems, but I am a Gnomer (cannot help it) and not that I want to badmouth Mandriva, but 2008 still needs a bit of Gnome-polishing imho.

Early seeders just got the word. I started, but it's still a bit slow to download.

Incidently, I figured it'd be fun to download the ftp cooker mirrors, so I did. over 54GB in what, half a day or so?

(I got both x64 and i586...)

I guess if you install now from cooker with network/ftp install, you get 2008.0.

arctic: our GNOME packages are pretty simple, really. they're very close to upstream, Fred keeps them as close as he can, he's very down on external patches.

as I said, I run GNOME only on my system, which is obviously heavily used, and I've never seen any problem like you describe.

do you have any idea what nautilus is *doing*?

artee / qandd: yep, the initial downloads to early seeders aren't super-fast; this demonstrates the need for early seeding. :)

do you have any idea what nautilus is *doing*?
Apart from eating my CPU it is doing absolutely nothing (except displaying my 3D-less desktop). If I kill nautilus as root from a tty and restart nautilus later, then the cpu-eating is gone. If I simply restart the X server, then two nautilus processes are running, each using some 45 percent of cpu power, thus I have to kill nautilus from tty if I want the system to act in a normal way.

If I knew why nautilus would eat my cpu at irregular times, I'd let you know immediately but alas I have no idea what could be wrong. Back tracing doesn't reveal anything either...

I guess I will retry with a clean install. Maybe the bug is caused by some bad packages I downloaded.