Kubuntu and USB

I'm using Kubuntu for some time now, and i have a problem:

when i plug in any usb device, nothing happens. I'm not asked what to do with it, and it doesn't mount the device.

I've messed with the system services earlier, so maybe that is the reason, but i cant find any service that might be responsible for that.

What should i do?

After some reading in Ubuntu and Kubuntu forums and trying things i discovered the following:

- if i add "irqpoll" option to grub boot entry, the usb works as it should, but the system stalls after a minute or so

- if i remove "acpi=force" & "irqpoll" option from grub entry, usb works fine but the system hangs on shutdown (the hds are turned off though, i hear it)

- adding "acpi=off noacpi" option doesn't improve the shutdown process

So i guess i should remove any kernel options that i have added previously ("acpi=force") and add something else that will allow my pc to shutdown properly. What might it be?

Just an FYI -

I installed Kubuntu and the auto usb mount worked. After a few days and installing Gnome and Xfce it stopped working. I also now get an error saying HAL failed to initialize when I start gnome. /etc/init.d/hal restart says OK but it still gives me the error.

So it seems you are not alone.

lol - yea. Im stuck between Mandriva and PClinux right now. I prefer PCLinux's synaptic instead of urpmi - but like how Mandy has more of a package selection.

Like kernels - PCLinux is a 1 size fits all but Mandy has a selection to choose from in the repos.

Sorry - I went OT

lol - yea. Im stuck between Mandriva and PClinux right now. I prefer PCLinux's synaptic instead of urpmi - but like how Mandy has more of a package selection.

Like kernels - PCLinux is a 1 size fits all but Mandy has a selection to choose from in the repos.

Yep, mandriva has a lot more packages, but is relatively buggy, and the last version (2008) doesn't like my hardware so much.

About kernels: does mandy have more than one? How can i chose the one i need? Where do i get them, from urpmi mirrors?

You may try the following:

1. get sure your gnome-volume-manager version is up/to/date, not buggy.

2. Stop first hal, and then udev as well.

3. Delete the folder /media, incuding the included ".hal-mtab" entries.

4. Restart first udev, and then hal. Now plug in your USB device. Is it OK?

If not, stop hal and udev again, and do as root

touch /media/.hal-mtab

(no need to edit that empty file)

I have encountered it two times. One time ist was a buggy gnome-volume-manager, and the other one was the stupid "ntfs-config" utility.