New Screensaver (beryl/compiz) for Linux

Artificial Intelligence

Eternity

The guy behind Ubuntu Satanic has made a new screensaver for Linux called Eternity. It works both for Gnome, KDE and Xscreensaver.

Source: Ubuntuforums.org

Site: Eternity

Video Clips: Video 1 Video 2

Not yet . Properly later. Also X, Y, Z distro need to build a plugin with their logo (or something else) as it's only Ubuntu (and diviants) screensavers atm.

I think a glass Arch Linux logo that slowly spinning would look cool.

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

From TFA:

Are they pre-rendered or ray-traced in realtime? How much CPU/GPU power does it take to display them?

They're pre-rendered, which took quite a few days per animation. That's the beauty of it; they take very little CPU to display (they're just MPEG2 files).

Most screensavers try to generate everything on the fly with fancy coding techniques, but I figured I could get better results by rendering in advance.

Regarding source codes:

Great idea. The source code is available in bazaar on Launchpad and *should* compile for other distros. However, I'll put some work into testing it to make sure it does.

Like you said, the plugins are currently very Ubuntu-centric. I guess the intention is to start with a focused target audience, although I agree that more generic stuff may have a wider appeal. A job for the future.