distro downloads - mandriva le 2005

xboxboy

Hi all,

Couldn't find any options here. Unfortunately I only have dial up. I would like to know if any one has a copy of Mandriva 2005 LE? I know its old, but I have used Mandrake 9.0 for a while, and got the distro for my XBOX.....unfortunately it didn't wanna work on my xbox. I am told there are better distros for the XBOX than LE 2005, but I am familiar with mandrake now :)

I am located in Australia. I am most appreciative of any help any one can offer.

Thank you all

Hello Xboxboy. Welcome to MUB.

I note you are on dialup. No problem. The New Mandriva2008 is due out very very soon now (days most likely). If Telstra Bigpond follow their usual good pattern they will have Mandriva2008 iso on their free download (for ADSL users) site within a day or two after its release. Naturally I will be downloading it asap.

Send me a PM message with your Postal Address and/or phone number ( preferably not a mobile number ) and I will send you a DVD copy by Express Post so you will have the latest and greatest in the shortest time possible.

If there is a large amount of updates shortly after the 2008 release then I will burn an extra disc with those extras and send to you later. That will make it easier on you downloading from the net.

Since your current version is so old, I suggest you backup all important data to an external device and then do a CLEAN install and NOT an upgrade.

Don't worry about cost since it will only be a few dollars and worth it to get another person happily using Mandriva.

Cheers. John.

The reason to run 2005LE is that it is supposed to have full support for xbox (apart from late version 1.6 i think?). I have got a copy of mandrake 9.0 from APC which is also for XBOX but I had trouble getting it to work...would boot but I had issues. I cant remember what the problems were now its been so long since I tried. I would like to stick with 2005LE rather than later versions cos I am familiar with mandrake that was the main reason.

Well whaddaya know, I just had a look on the Mandriva download page and see the files:

Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-XBOX-Mini.xbox.iso [431 MB]

Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-XBOX-boot.xbox.iso [9 MB]

in for example the directory at http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/mandrak.../iso/10.2/i586/

I've no idea what they are or how likely they are to work, but they're there for download and apparently explicitly mention the Xbox. Anyway they're not too large downloads, ok to fit on a cd so I suggest you find a friend / relative / colleague / internet cafe to download it for you and burn it on a CD, rather than asking AussieJohn to post you DVDs of 2008. The only concern is that the 431 MB one says "mini" which implies it might have to download extra stuff when you install it. Maybe. Don't know, it doesn't seem like anyone here has experience of using Mandriva on an Xbox. I don't know what you mean by "APC", maybe you can get help from there?

Well whaddaya know, I just had a look on the Mandriva download page and see the files:

Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-XBOX-Mini.xbox.iso [431 MB]

Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-XBOX-boot.xbox.iso [9 MB]

in for example the directory at http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/mandrak.../iso/10.2/i586/

I've no idea what they are or how likely they are to work, but they're there for download and apparently explicitly mention the Xbox

They'll probably just boot and install like any other distro. Mandriva probably has install documentation

The only concern is that the 431 MB one says "mini" which implies it might have to download extra stuff when you install it.

XBoxes are x86 machines, so they'll probably be able to install regular packages after the install.

"APC", maybe you can get help from there?

APC is an australian computer magazine. Probably had an xbox distro on it's cover disc at some stage.

Thanks for adding guys. Yes, as far as I know the boot iso is for booting, and the mini iso is a base install. I assume that it works like mandrake 9.0 was supposed to, where you install the xbox modded linux os, and any mandrake 9.0 packages can then be installed. I hope this is the case with the 2005LE, so I can use any packages available to 2005le for the pc. Iphitus is correct APC is an australian magazine, it offered mandrake 9.0 on one issue, then only a few weeks later the xbox modded version, and advised to instrall any packages from the pc version. I actually have these still!!!

Edited by xboxboy