Linux remote desktop solution -- I need help badly

kylefish44

Hi,

So, as you can presume from the title, I need to set-up a VNC server, of any type, on a Linux machine so I can take control of it. The server machine is using Mandriva 2007 Powerpack+. I tried getting Tight-VNC to work, but I had problems with installation. And yep: make and I don't always get along well :unsure:

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm actually doing this for a friend, so the sooner the better.

Thanks so much!

-Kylefish44

I'm not sure as I don't have Mandriva to hand right now, but maybe you can install the drakwizard program, and then configure your VNC server through System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer, also commonly known as mcc. Then you will find a load of wizards that have been installed, that might just give you what you need.

You'll have to go through all the sections in MCC/Configure Your Computer to find the wizard, as they are all over the place depending on what your attempting to do and what category it comes under.

Thank you. I knew about MMC, but whenver I looked under Remote Administration, it only listed one option: "Remote Control of another machine (Linux/Unix, Windows)". so, I decided to take your advice and I clicked on it. Sure enough: it provides an option to allow control of the machine. I think I've got the server up and running, but I'm not sure. It displays this square-shaped window when I click "Launch (server)". the window has a logo with "RFB" and some sort of interface element to set the display number (it shows a "0").

I've been doing this in a VMware virtual machine on my Intel Mac, so I don't mess up the real system. Now, I know this is embarassing, but how do I find the ip address of the local machine on Linux? I want to try taking control of the virtual machine.

vnc and tightvnc are useful for running separate sessions on the remote machine... if you want to connect to a real, running x-server session (windows style) you must use x11vnc instead.

I agree that an nxserver is more responsive than a vncserver, but still it's not usable on a real X display... although this feature was sort of promised some three years ago! :huh:

Edited by scarecrow

vnc and tightvnc are useful for running separate sessions on the remote machine... if you want to connect to a real, running x-server session (windows style) you must use x11vnc instead.

I agree that an nxserver is more responsive than a vncserver, but still it's not usable on a real X display... although this feature was sort of promised some three years ago! :huh:

hmm... i looked up x11vnc it looks nice! how do I set it up? the instructions on his site are confusing :wall:

and also, I can get VNC to work on my home network with Linux. the problem is when the scope leaves this network.

hmm... i looked up x11vnc it looks nice! how do I set it up? the instructions on his site are confusing :wall:

and also, I can get VNC to work on my home network with Linux. the problem is when the scope leaves this network.

I use x11vnc on two machines, but I don't have it running all the time, for security reasons.

Whenever I need a vnc session to the real x-session, I log to the remote rig via ssh as plain user, and trigger the vncserver:

x11vnc -noncache

The only thing it needs to start is a VNC password (present at ~.\vnc\passwd). You can easily create that file running the command "vncpasswd" as user.

If I close the ssh session then the vncserver is killed as well, so no security risk.

Then for running the client from the local machine I run a very simple script (you can give it any name you wish):

# !/bin/bash
vncviewer -FullColour -FullScreen -passwd=/home/scarecrow/.vnc/passwd REMOTE_HOST:0

Replace the path of the passwd file with your actual one, as well as the name of the REMOTE_HOST, and that is all.

I use the vnc client from RealVNC, as the TightVNC client for some reason bangs at me whenever I am entering fullscreen. Both the windows and the Linux port of that client are working just fine with x11vnc server.

For accessing the x11vnc server from outside the LAN, you have to portforward port 5900 at your router. You can even tunnel the vnc session via ssh, if you're interested at extra security.

Edited by scarecrow