I need help in installing Mandriva

The version i have mandriva-linux-2007-spring-dvd.i586

My current OS is Windows XP sp2

My sys config

Intel Dual core 2.80GHz

D102 mother board

512 Ram

160GB Harddisk Sata

Plz give me a clean guide to Install,while installing my current files should not be missed in partition

Thanks in Advance :D :D :D

If you have an existing Linux file system, then you can do it providing that you make sure that the existing file system uses the same mount point as it did previously.

You mentioned your current OS is Windows XP. Therefore, if you've not got Linux on your system, you cannot install Linux into an NTFS partition, and therefore will have to resize it and make it smaller, then move your data to the Linux partition later, or share it from the NTFS partition as Linux can mount NTFS partitions anyway.

Hi

Here is an excellent guide mandrake.tips.4.free

I used it my self the first I installed Mandriva, and I still drops by from time to time, because there is a lot great tips in there.

There is some debate about the best way to install Linux alongside Windows XP, though I can only speak from personal experience. Having just recently switched from Windows, (May of this year?) I am by NO means an expert. I started with downloading the iso file for the Mandriva Spring 2007 Live 'One' cd, and after creating a bootable disk from the iso image, rebooted the computer from that cd. Using the disc (very self explanatory) I was able to resize my NTFS partition (where Windows XP is installed, NTFS is the format MS Windows uses) to allow room for Mandriva Linux. I think origianlly I allowed 20 Gb for Mandriva. I used the default installation options for Mandriva as set under the cd, I think the partitions were "/" (root), "swap", and "home". It was enough to start with, but since then I've looked at other options and have made additional partitions. One of the most important things was to make a backup of all my Windows XP data, which came in very handy later when I made the full switch to Linux.

Firstly, the Live cd did a wonderful job of resizing my partitions and installing Linux alongside Windows XP. I now had a dual boot machine, where I could choose either Windows XP or Mandriva Linux when I rebooted. Everything was more or less fine (did notice Windows XP running slower than usual until I ran scandisk and disk defragmenter), until I decided to mount my NTFS partition under Linux. For some reason my Windows XP partition was never the same...

Let me take a minute to explain that current distributions of Linux support reading NTFS partitions, but writing to them is a bit more complicated. It's generally thought that if you're writing to an NTFS partition, without additional software support, you'll trash it, likely rendering MS Windows unusable. There is software available which many people have used successfully, (ntfs -3g), but as I don't know much about it I'll save it for others to explain. (www.ntfs-3g.org) Another possibility is to create a larger FAT16 partition between your EXT-3 and NTFS partitions. Both Linux and MS Windows can read and write without any problems to this partition, and transfer information back and forth without ever 'seeing' one another.

Anyway, to make a long story short I found running Windows XP side by side with Mandriva Linux problematic, to say the least. What I finally realised is that for whatever reason (and this may have been my installation), I needed a buffer between them. I finally created a swap partition of 1Gb between my NTFS (WIndows XP) and EXT-3 (Linux) partitions, and stopped mounting Windows Xp in Linux. This fixed most of my problems. That said, Mandriva Linux seems about twice as fast as Windows XP ever was, and it didn't take me long to get rid of MS Windows...almost completely. I now have Linux installed on both my hard disks (one 80 Gb and one 250 Gb), with Windows XP installed under Virtual Box within Linux. Am planning on getting rid of Windows XP very soon, as soon as I transfer all my business files from ACT2000 into the latest version of SugarCRM.

Hope this is of some use. Personally, I find the versatility of linux amazing, and with Mandriva's usability see no reason to ever go back to MS Windows. I've even been thinking about purchasing Mandriva's Flash USB drive, as working on MS Windows boxes (while travelling) is a frustrating experience. Keep in mind I'm very new to Linux, and everything above has been gleaned from my own experience. Feel free to correct me if anything I've said is wrong people...

Good luck

This is the first time i am going to install Mandriva linux before this i have never installed any Linux OS in my sys and i am mot going to dual boot with windows XP or anything all the drives in my sys r NTFS format the main thing is while partioning with Mandriva my existing files should not be missed.Thanks for all ur comments.. :D :D :D

Man1.jpg

Which is the boot file in Mandriva i clicked everything nothing is working ......... :unsure: :unsure:

Can i go ahead and write this in DVD.........

Edited by Ixthusdan

As I said, you cannot keep your data on the system if the filesystem is NTFS. So you are not going to be able to install Mandriva, or any other flavour of Linux until you forget about NTFS.

You have two options. First, move all your data that you want to keep to another machine. Then format the whole machine and install Mandriva. The second option, is to resize your Windows XP partition so that you can install Linux. Also make sure it has enough space free so that you can move the data from Windows XP to Linux later. Then you can delete Windows altogether after this and use that free space for something else.

If you cannot or do not want to do what we have suggested, then you will not be able to use Linux or keep your data. Linux cannot be installed into an NTFS partition. That is why you have to move the data, or resize the Windows partition to make space for Linux to be installed.

The DVD needs to be written using Nero or some other CD burner that can write ISO files. Do not extract the files, else the DVD will not boot later.

We've given you the info you need, you seem to have ignored what we wrote before. Therefore, we won't repeat it again if you cannot read more clearly the information presented to you to help you get Linux installed.

We've given you the info you need, you seem to have ignored what we wrote before. Therefore, we won't repeat it again if you cannot read more clearly the information presented to you to help you get Linux installed.

I am not Ignoring anybody,How can i ignore one who is coming to Help me .......... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

I have Burned the ISO with IMGBURN............... :D :D :D :D

I am Backing up all my Important files to 2Drive....

Edited by Ixthusdan

Use Partition Magic, or when booting from the Mandriva CD/DVD, choose custom and repartition the disk by resizing one of the Windows partitions making it smaller so that you can install Mandriva.

I Have C,D,E,F&G

I have backed up all my files to D & E

There's really no need to use poster size coloured fonts. Some people might find it annoying.

You need to say what sort of drives D and E are. That is, are they CD/DVD/USB or partitions on your internal hard drive.

If they are CD, DVD, or USB drives, then you can just go ahead and boot your system with the installation DVD inserted. (Disconnect any external drives first.) The installation program is quite simple to follow and when it asks, you can just tell it to use all the hard drive space.

If D and E are partitions on your internal hard drive then it's important that you keep those partitions during the installation of Mandriva. You'll need to do as ianw1974 suggests.

Jim

Edited by jkerr82508

Use Partition Magic, or when booting from the Mandriva CD/DVD, choose custom and repartition the disk by resizing one of the Windows partitions making it smaller so that you can install Mandriva.

I partitioned F & G with Partition Magic & converted to Fat32 and i tried installing Mandriva when i gave Installation it showed Loading Kernel and a Blue screen came that's all nothing happened after that.........

I may not access the net fo 3 or 4 days i will be back soon ... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

OK, but did you leave any free space? Or are you trying to install Mandriva into a FAT32 partition? Again, this won't work either.

Try booting Mandriva with some other parameters like:

linux acpi=off

and see if it gets around your loading kernel problem. Try pressing ESC when booting so we can see if any error messages and post these, so we can see whats going on.

• 2 weeks later...