The Linux file-system at a glance

SoulSe

Shame all of those names are in CAPITALS whereas in reality they are not, and UNIX filesystems are case sensitive...

Otherwise, nice overview, thanks for posting.

I just realised: they didn't yet include the recently more popular /media for ehm, external media (thumbdrives and such).

Edited by aRTee

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Boy I wish I'd of had this years ago. Might just make it a wallpaper! For those of you (including me) just learning where stuff is this is a must have. When I install a program I'm not sure where it all goes, but I'm learning. I can even compile and install stuff...big thing when you're new. I've been playing with Linux for a long time and waiting for it to get to where I don't need windows. Well it is just about there and I am trying to force myself to learn to do it in linux. Some things only run in windows so I'm stuck with it as a dual boot.

Anyway, take a look at this. It will help you to understand where things go when it says done....done what...where? You can also find a program by whereis...

If you read a few post down you see that the capitol letters don't belong. Linux commands are case sensitive...DIR does not work...dir does. I know those are commands but it is the same for directories.

dir HOME will not work. dir home works.

I hope this is not condsidered off topic as part of installing software is being able to run it...it's in there ain't good enough...gotta know where.

Of course that chart should all be in lowercase. I think even noobies would immediately realise that. It's designed to give you a quick-glance reference of the filesystem layout. Nothing more.

I could spend an hour or two making my own chart that uses lowercase or explains things more clearly but I honestly don't have the time and this one serves the purpose well enough.

Maybe this weekend... :P