grub background

Guest mistake25

Guest mistake25

hello,

i want to change background of boot menu(grub) i tried to change image in /usr/share/gfxboot/themes/ in all theme i changed background what i want, but i don't work for me, then i tried to edit /boot/gfxmenu i can't write in it by file roller...i extracted it to home directory edited back.jpg and i tried to get it back to cpio archive...cpio -o > ../gfxmenu...and then write names of all files which i want to have in this archive, but i don't know how to end the archive, what i have to do when i add all files? is some command or something to end archive, because if i only close console and try to open this archive it write me mistake unexpected end of archive and can't open it, and when i try to use this archive in the boot menu i have got no my picture on background just black color and list of os...where i'm doing mistake?

thanks and sorry for my english

You don't need to extract the files. They remain in the file you download, and you just add a splashimage line to /boot/grub/menu.lst or /boot/grub/grub.conf.

Something like:

splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splashimage.xpm.gz

for example.

Guest mistake25

but i haven't downloaded something i have default mandriva picture on background and i want to exchange it i tried add spashimage in menu.lst, but it don´t work, still is here mandriva image and not my which i add here :-(

mistake 25: Current versions of Mandriva use bootgfx; older versions used splashimage. Both methods are quite different in what they can (bootgfx can display higher resolution, more colours) and how to change things (splashimage is somewhat easier). I don't know whther the mandrake control center can do this, but this post provides info on bootgfx. It is not so diffcult, but the archive used (a CPIO file) can only be manipulated from command-line.