Mandriva Linux 2008 RC2 released

dexter11

On the subject of 2008: Does anyone have any idea, when the official release of 2008 is going to come out? I read in the wiki, that it should have been out yesterday, but nothing appeared.

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandr...8.0/Development

Edited by dude67

Thanks Adam. I was googling around to find any info about the release date, but there was none available (at least couldn't find any updated).

I realize the fact dexter11 commented and was merely asking if anyone has more info (Adam of course has inside info). I know how things go when you are working on a deadline. I work in a project environment myself and was not trying to add to the pressure. :unsure:

I'm checking in regularly to Mdv download site for the 2008 release - I can hardly wait... B)

Keep up the good work, guys. :thumbs:

I tried the RC2, and liked it a lot. 2007 Spring didn't fully support my hardware (wireless usb-stick and sound didn't work), but on this release they both worked perfect.

I too hope the final release will be out soon... can't wait for Compiz Fusion ^^

If I do remember correct, then you'll be able to find Compiz Fusion in either /main/backports or /contrib/backports.

So if you can't find Compiz Fusion in RPMdrake, then just ad these lines through EasyUrpmi :D

yeah, you can get Fusion from backports for 2007.1, but it's not exactly recommended. drak3d doesn't work with it, so if you install it, you have to enable it manually by hacking at the text config files. instructions are here:

http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/archive/index.php/t-3238.html

don't poke it if you're not prepared to get your hands dirty. :)

if you're running 2008 RC2 and you enable 3D desktop, you're already using Fusion, it's been in Cooker for ages.

dude67: you should generally consider the first posted release date for any Mandriva release as a 'vague aspiration' not a deadline. :D We generally miss them by around two to three weeks (this is what I always assume) so 2008 is actually rather ahead of the usual schedule.

If I do remember correct, then you'll be able to find Compiz Fusion in either /main/backports or /contrib/backports.

So if you can't find Compiz Fusion in RPMdrake, then just ad these lines through EasyUrpmi :D

Uh, yeah I just meant that I won't install this before its the final release, I don't want to mess up my current stable linux installation :D and on top of that, I wait for fglrx 8.42, so I don't have to use XGL for Compiz Fusion (I have a r500 -chipset, so there's no opensource driver for it yet) :P

I, too keep checking distrowatch and phoronix for news on either Mandriva 2008 or fglrx 8.42 :P

EDIT: Whoops, I replied to the wrong message xD

Now fixed the quote...

Edited by anyone