Mandriva 2008 Installfest 2008 Sydney

Guest roved2101

Guest roved2101

I am looking at running an installfest in Sydney around the release of Mandriva 2008.

If you are in Sydney and would like to be involved post your interest here. So far most people I know use Ubuntu or Debian. It would be great to find some people with familar goals for Mandriva.

[moved from Forum Discussion by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

iphitus: this is meant to be part of our official 2008 installfest, the mail for which went out a few days ago (see below). roved posted to the official forums, I suggested he come post here too as I seem to remember there's a few Australians here. he's already involved with the Sydney LUG, I believe.

Mandriva Linux 2008 will be released soon! In order to celebrate this

event, to bring Linux to new users and present the new features

available in Mandriva Linux 2008, Mandriva would like to coordinate a

worldwide Installfest on November 17th, 2007.

Expert Mandriva Linux users are invited to assist beginners to help

them get started with the operating system. Participants will be able

to get help on installing Mandriva Linux 2008 on their laptop or

desktop, get all answers to their questions and meet other Linux users.

If you would like to hold an install party in your country, please

contact lugs@mandrivalinux.org and we will send send you:

* Mandriva Linux One 2008

* stickers

* posters

* pens

* electronic communication kit

Check out all the information on Mandriva Community wiki :

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Community/Events/Installfest2008

If you have any question concerning the event, do not hesitate to

contact us at lugs AT mandrivalinux DOT org.

The Mandriva Team

Edited by adamw

Guest fred3764

Hi, I would like to participate should I have time and spread Mandriva..... been using it for years now and thought having its flaws it`s still my favorite distro. Please let me know what you planning to do.....

Guest roved2101

Just and update. I am looking at using a community centre in Western Sydney. Most likely in Merrylands or Parramatta.

Yes as Adam said, I am involved with Sydney Linux Users Group. Most member are involved with other distros. I have informed and will inform them again via the mailing list of the event for those who wish to participate even if they use another distro. I would like to see this event as a community event as well. Kind of keeping it open to the promotion of free and open source software as well.

In regard to SLUG helping a lot of them are involved in the next Linux Conference Australia, to be held in Melbourne. One of the commitee member have said I can promote the event on the SLUG site.

Myself and another member who uses Open Suse is going to assist me at this stage. So ultimately the event needs to be promoted on as many forums and mailings as possible because not all will see it on the community site.

The other option is going to the computer fair in Western Sydney and having a Linux general promotion and mini install fest at the same time.

Any other ideas are quite welcome. I believe as a Mandriva Community we can round up enough volunteers to get this event under way. I will be requesting stock shortly for the event.

Also posted on http://forum.mandriva.com under Community Chat

• 2 weeks later...