Is Mandriva 2006 Updatable? [solved]

sglafata

Can an Unsupported Mandriva 2006 distribution be updated with Mandriva Corporate Server 4 updates? They appear to be similar distributions. I love my 2006 as it is, but I would hate to have it fall to an attack based on an unpatched package that has been updated in a future version, specifically referring to the Shorewall, Bind, Squid, Samba and DHCP packages.

If you can't find the updates on any mirrors out there, then no. Unless someone did archive them and has them on DVD somewhere.

If you have the Corporate Server 4 CD/DVD, then upgrade it using this - I would expect it should be possible, but never tried it as such. I would prefer a clean install, than attempt to upgrade Mandriva 2006.

I did use Mandriva Corporate Desktop 4 Beta, and upgraded it to Mandriva 2007.1 Spring :D

Well.... thanks for the replies guys. I thought I had found a way to keep my 2006 updated, but alas, I am left with finding an alternative. I'm not sure if I will keep 2006 on it or upgrade to a newer version of Mandriva, or find something that is more in line with what I am trying to accomplish. I might look into MNF.

Let's be honest: Although security updates are nice, 2006.0 should be patched pretty good by now and (from my experience) many desktop users do not really need the security patches as most of them fix only server-related problems. Bugfixes are of course a different thing altogether.

I know, it sounds strange, especially as I have a double firewall and SELinux enabled on my machines... :D

I just have a firewall. And I can't even connect through to legitimate services on my machine that I've configured and opened up for myself, let alone worry about a hacker coming in. Long story, and my network setup that probably causes the problems.

Upgrade if you need to, or stay at what you've got right now, unless you have a real need to be on the latest and greatest. Providing you are protected enough by firewall, etc, and practice good security you'll be OK with Mandriva 2006.