anyone going to try the free Lotus Symphony?

mindwave

from here:

https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/w...amp;S_PKG=lnxdl

you create a free login, that will take you to the download and information site.

I havent used Lotus products in many years, but they are marketing it as an open source Offfice killer!

I downloaded the windows version because i had more room on my xp px than my mdv pc.

it IS a resource hog, they want almost a gig of install space and do recommend a gog of RAM.

I think they may be a little late to the game, unless they can, as they promise, find a email/contact killer to take on outlook.

now personally i havent seen anything in the little tie that i've played with it, that it does better than KOffice/Kontact or OpenOffice/Evolution?

just womdering if anyone who has recent experience w/ lotus products finds this a boon or a bust?

even though it hasnt been "certified" for MDV i may try and throw it on my 2008 box, just to see how she runs.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

it IS a resource hog, they want almost a gig of install space and do recommend a gog of RAM.

Wierd, from what I heard it was a modded version of OpenOffice.org, shouldn't that much of a resource hog, or is it? :unsure:

Another point to note is that it is still a beta.

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

Guest drpruner

I remember Symphony from 25 yrs ago, in the $450 US per box days. Seemed as good as any others; I also liked 1-2-3. If the free version is the same it should be good. As to resources, the one I saw was, of course, a DOS app, on a relatively primitive box. Everything has bloated since then. :-)

Regards,

Doug in New Mexico

I used to use Lotus Smartsuite until Microsoft Office seemed to dominate everywhere. Lotus 1-2-3 was the best ever spreadsheet program. Still have Smartsuite lurking around somewhere on CD.

Up until recently used to use Lotus Notes 7 under Linux (native client), but now no longer work for the company that had Lotus Notes. Now, shall see what I end up using next when I start working again.