Repositories [solved]

ixoye777

I have been trying to decide on which distro to use and have been bouncing back and forth between Mandriva, OpenSUSE and Kubuntu. I am back to Mandriva again.

I just installed it again last night after having OpenSUSE on my system for a few weeks. I used the Easy-Urpmi to setup my repositories and I am wondering if there are other repos to setup that I am missing.

I am doing a search for simple things things like virtualbox or the dolphin file manager and nothing is coming up. Any ideas or am I just being daft?

snapshot1wm5.png

snapshot2nv2.png

main: The main distribution media with the officially supported packages

contrib: Lots of additional packages

non-free: Some packages that do not contain open source software

main_updates: Updates for main, including security updates

contrib_updates: Updates for contrib, including security updates

non-free_updates: Updates for non-free, including security updates

main_backports: Newer but less-tested versions of some packages in main

contrib_backports: Newer but less-tested versions of some packages in contrib

and finally non-free_backports: well, you get the idea...

https://mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php ;)

:huh: What was that?

Those repositories you've got should be fine already, but maybe the servers you chose are down / temporarily broken or whatever. Try the command "Update media" from the gui, or urpmi.update -a from the command line, and see if any error messages come up (couldn't contact host, file not found, etc etc). If so, select a different mirror and try again.

Actually I didn't know dolphin was available yet, I thought that was coming new with KDE4 (Mandriva 2008). But I see it in my gui and I've got the same repositories selected as you.

There is also a "non-free" repo which you can use- its present in easyurpmi configuration page, AFAIK.

There are also a few unofficial repos ( MCN, SoS, MDE ) which you can use, BUT you must use them with great care as messing things up with third party packages is not very difficult...

@ neddie: Dolphin also has a KDE3/QT3 version, and more than that there's a hacked version of dolphin out there named "d3lphin" with some UI improvements.

Edited by scarecrow

actually, it's even simpler.

you're using 2007, which is around a year old, now, and not our latest release any more.

neither VirtualBox nor Dolphin was actually available when 2007 came out, so neither of them is available as a 2007 package in the main repositories. There's nothing wrong with your repository setup, the packages you want just aren't there :)

You could update to 2007 Spring, our latest release, which definitely has VirtualBox and I think has Dolphin. Or you could wait a couple of weeks for 2008, which is due out very soon, and just upgrade straight to that.

Excellent, thanks for the help guys. This is one of the main reasons I came back to Mandriva - the support you guys are willing to give when people like me have a question.

I am using the 2007 Spring Edition - the DVD.

I tried as neddie suggested and all seems to be well:

[dad@localhost ~]$ urpmi.update -a
medium "plf-free" is up-to-date
medium "plf-nonfree" is up-to-date
medium "main" is up-to-date
medium "main_updates" is up-to-date
medium "contrib" is up-to-date
medium "contrib_updates" is up-to-date

I will try adding the non-free repo as well and see if that gets me anywhere.

I did not know that 2008 was due out shortly, I will look forward to giving it a whirl when it is out in a few weeks.

This is one of the main reasons I came back to Mandriva - the support you guys are willing to give when people like me have a question.

Actually a lot of people here (incl. myself) aren't basically Mandriva users- just Linux lovers.

But it IS a nice community, and most people will try their best to help when they can.

I am using the 2007 Spring Edition - the DVD.
The reason adamw thinks you're using 2007 is that on the screenshot you sent, the package it finds is listed as 2007.0, which implies that you have your repositories set up for 2007.0 (which isn't Spring Edition).

If you're in doubt, post the urls you're using for your repositories. In EasyUrpmi you should select "2007 Spring" and not "2007" as your Mandriva version. And the urls should have 2007.1 in them, not 2007.0.