virtual box problem

drhadidy

i have mandriva 2007.1

i used to have virtualbox V 1.3 which came with the distro dvd

now i downloaded and installed the newest version 1.5 after uninstalling the previous version

when i started it came up with the older version of windows which was installed and showing the virtual hard disk i made for the previous install

windows failed to run...

i deleted that version and deleted the virtual hard disk and made new but still cant load and i have the following message

Unknown error initializing kernel driver (VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH).

VBox status code: -1912 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH).

Result Code:

0x80004005

Component:

Console

Interface:

IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}

anyone??

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Where did you get version 1.5 from?

VirtualBox needs a couple of kernel modules being built (vboxdrv in particular), unless you use stock packages made for your EXACT running kernel. Read its documentation.

Same thing, more or less, applies for VMWare.

Also, check after installation if the user who is running VirtualBox belongs to the "vboxusers" group. If not, add him, logout and then back in.

Edited by scarecrow

You can try rebuilding the kernel module by running as root:

# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

You will need to have your kernel source installed to rebuild the vboxdrv kernel module. Also, make sure that your kernel and kernel source match. You can check that by examining the output of:

$ rpm -qa | grep kernel

The error message indicates a mismatch between the vboxdrv kernel module and the running kernel. This could be due to the install routine compiling the vboxdrv kernel module on a system with a mismatched kernel and kernel source or the install program installing a precompiled vboxdrv kernel module from a system running a different kernel than the one you are using.