Please help me decide on Mandriva for iMac

Guest vois2

Hello --

I have a good bit of experience with Linux desktop distributions on the x86 architecture.

Now it is my task to decide on a desktop distro for someone's iMac, 500 MHz PowerPC G3 with 640 MB of RAM.

My initial investigation led me here. I have a few questions:

(1) Given the more aged processor, which version of free-cost Mandriva desktop distribution would you recommend ?

(2) I would need an installer which is more than clickable -- rather, I would need (my preference) some sort of text installer where I have a great deal of control over partitioning. Is this available?

(3) I would need to be able to install a bootloader which has a lot of online docs or support, so that I can modify that bootloader. How does bootloader for Mandriva work in this regard? Easy?

(4) I would need some sort of partition manager "live CD" so that I could shrink the existing OS X partition on the iMac in question, before beginning an install of any Linux distro. What is recommended?

Thanks very much for reading, I hope you can make some recommendations for me to move me forward with Mandriva.

vois2

firefighter @ graffiti. n e t

Welcome, Vois. :)

To be honest: I wouldn't use Mandriva on a G3 as it ain't officially supported and the last ppc discs that were released were those for 2005LE and you had to tweak things in order to get the yaboot to work all. I have a G3, too, and I put Debian on it. It is the best option for such an "ancient" machine imho.

Hi vois,

I'd recommend Yellow Dog Linux, a distro tailored for PPC systems from the start. Download mirrors are here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resources/downloads.shtml

A very useful live CD for (re-)partitioning is GPartEd, but you should check HFS filesystem features before:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/features.php

HTH,

scoonma