Toshiba booting problem [solved]

peter2

When Mandriva is booting, if I'm not connected to my home network it freezes. I think it's because the internet connection starts automatically in the boot time. If I'm connected to my home network, it says something like:

Detecting loopback

" ppp0

Creating ppp0

Connecting .....

So, i want to know how to disable the connection to start at the boot time, and how to start it when I'm logged in.

Edited by peter2

Welcome aboard. :)

There are two ways: The first one is to hit "esc" (or was it "F2"???) for seeing all the messages in the bootup (The boot-screen will show you which key it is. Sorry, don't remember exactly, as I am currently in front of my fedora box). Once you see the messages, hit "i" for interactive startup. You will be asked about the services/processes you want to start. When the network related questions come, hit "n" (no). That will bypass the services for now. Once your system is up and running, you can (= second approach) adjust the services that should be started automatically in the MCC (configure your computer). Go to the system-> services section and uncheck the network service that hangs your system. Also check the network setup. I guess there is an option for enabling/disabling automatic activation of the device and maybe an option for adjusting the timeout value. Basically, the system should not freeze but timeout after some time.

If it freezes you should also be able to simply bypass the service hitting ctrl+c in case you failed to go into interactive startup.

You can start the network service in the MCC (as explained above for disabling, but this time, click on "start"). Or you can start it as root from a terminal with

chkconfig network start

You have to be quick with the "i" key. Maybe you missed the small time-window for hitting "i"t. If interactive mode really doesn't work, then check if you can boot up in failsafe mode while the network ain't activated. If that also fails, then there is definitely something screwed up. In that case, please provide some hardware information about your modem.

Check if a ppd service exists:

chkconfig --list | grep -i ppp

and then disable:

chkconfig ppd off

or whatever the name of the service, and see if that helps. Of course, disabling the network service altogether will probably disable everything altogether relating to network services, than just ppp.

• 8 months later...
Guest caelum

I see this topic is not quite recent but thought it better to discuss my issue here than create a new thread.

I use PPPoE which I configured with Mandrivas network tool. Sometimes I don't have it connected though as I switch this line between two computers, but I'd still like to use the Mandriva machine when it's not connected. However, I'm having a similiar problem with my boot. It freezes up when my internet is not connected. I hit ctrl alt f12 (I think) and I can see it trying to connect ppp0 modem and failing but it just keeps trying and there is no way to escape it except ctrl alt del, which reboots. I can do the interactive "I" option and say no to starting that but it really is a pain as it takes so long.

Disabling the service is not desirable since I will probably need it next time.

Of course I think I can probably somehow remove the setting for start pppoe at boot and just try to manually connect, which is probably what I'll try to figure out how to do next. But still seems a curious issue. Every distro I've used in the past would still start after it failed to connect at boot. Seems like a bit of a bug to me.

Just disable the device from trying to connect at boot. If you configure the network card or device through Mandriva's network tool, there should be an option that mentions to enable it at bootup. If it's disabled at bootup, it just means it won't try to connect. Therefore, you can manually connect once you've logged into your machine instead.

If the gui doesn't do it, depending on whether it's an ethernet card or ppp connection, check the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory for an ifcfg-ethx or ifcfg-pppx file and you can edit these and change (the x is a number, eg eth0 or ppp0 and so on):

onboot = yes

to:

onboot = no

save, and then you won't have the problem anymore. As it stands now if you just leave it, it will timeout probably after one minute and continue booting so that you can use your machine.

Guest caelum

Thanks for the help. Took me a while to get back to this post but I did as you suggested and at least I don't have to worry about the timeout now. :)