computer freezes [solved]

tri2kon9

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen similar instable behavior a couple of times, once in a Windoze box and once in Linux with this box I'm using now. Both times it was a bad CPU. A failing CPU will run too hot and become unstable even though the fans are fine. A bigger cooler will help, but it's only a temporary fix as the CPU will continue slowly failing and run hotter and hotter.

When it crashes again and you have to reboot, go into the BIOS and check the CPU temp. Worth a look at least. If the CPU is cool get a copy of Memtest86 and check for bad memory. Runs a very rigorous test of all memory including onboard memory. Let it run for a few hours. Sometimes it takes a while for memory to get hot enough to fail.

Is there anything in the logs just prior to the time of the crash? In particular look for an oops!

I case you don't know what logs are: SilversSurfer is talking about the following directories/files which monitor/document your computers behavior:

/var/log/messages

/var/log/dmesg

scarecrow said:

129F is some 54C, which is slightly above normal, but definitely not hinting overheating.

Well, it depends on the CPU. Some are comfortable normally running at higher temps than others. Somewhere in the 40's is more like it with many CPU's. A check of the temp ratings for the CPU can help identify a hot CPU but is not really definitive. A better way to tell is if you know and can compare what it normally ran at before when stable vs now unstable, as a failing CPU may still be running within it's specified range.

Anyway, that's what happened to me. Although well within the manaufacturer's specs mid 50's was high enough to cause instability in both of the machines I found bad CPU's in, which normally run in the low to mid 40's. Both were AMD Bartons in boxes I'd built at the same time. I found out later the CPU's both came from a problematic production run. At any rate, I changed the CPU's and it cured both. 2 years later both are still running perfectly with no other changes.

We don't have enough info yet to recommend a new CPU - or not. If you don't know how hot it always ran before a 54 temp in itself doesn't give a definite answer. It's not off-the-chart hot or anything, just warm, but may be warm enough. Unfortunately, it's just not that simple. To make it worse, running tests may not pin it down either. That's not to say you shouldn't try tests, but in my case both CPU's would pass all the CPU test utilities I have. It took me a while to rule out the motherboard, memory, etc.

How do I access those? I can't figure it out...(I'm a complete linux noob, never used it before this)

Sorry didn't realize you were a noob, that was my oops!.

The safest way for you to access the logs is through the mandriva control panel, also known as mcc. Select from your menu 'Configure Your Computer' and when prompted enter your root user password. Once the Control Panel has appeared on screen select 'system' then select from the options 'view and search system logs'. The log file that we are interested in is called 'syslog'. Search through this log, it is a text log and can be rather long. Look for a place in this log where you restarted your 'puter after a crash. You will get the idea after looking at the log for a while. Having found where the crash happened, look back through the log a few lines and look for an entry with oops! in the line. Paste a few lines either side of this entry in a reply and let's see what it says. If you can't find an oops! paste a few lines either side of the crash and restart anyway.