webmin ldap module error on adding account

aioshin

Failed to save user : Failed to add user to LDAP database : no structural object class provided

I encountered the above error when trying to add a user, though I can add a group on ldap but when trying to add a user, that's the error.

Any idea on that one? really appreciate any help.. TIA

Edited by aioshin

How are you trying to add the user? If using LDIF files, what items are you including in the file? What schemas are selected in your LDAP config?

You normally need to provide object classes, such as inetOrgPerson, and so on, based on what you're using LDAP for. If your not using already, phpLDAPAdmin is a really good way for adding users to the system. Just needs a bit of configuring to access the LDAP server before you can start with it. Alternatively, ldif files and the ldapadd command works well for me.

I've got some sample config files if you're stuck. Mine are currently what you need for a minimum user with some email addresses to add to them.

Ah OK. When I've used via ldapadd (ldif) and phpLDAPAdmin, I've never had to use posixAccount unless using uidNumber, gidNumber, loginShell, etc. Providing your not selecting these entries, you shouldn't need it. But if you do need them for whatever your using LDAP for, then that's cool also :)

Yeah, I need those, uid and gid since I used this as authentication on linuxes and mail server. We usually used command line but since some from the company needs to have a Web UI, so I have to make it with webmin. This ldap server now handles almost 3000 users authenticating on it. Yeah its cool.!

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old post but Might I ask how you fixed the problem? How did you add it to webmin? I am new to using ldap. We are trying to set it up for a friend and his Church. I have gotten everything working but adding users via webmin. Any help would be great.

Thanks