Fedora 7 [solved]

Hi, I would like to install Fedora 7 on my old pentium 3 pc. According to their wiki, LiveCD won't work for me because my pc isn't i686 and i don't have a DVD drive. So the only option i have is to install through network. The question is, what directory on a mirror server should i chose?

So far all my attempts failed for various reasons: pc stalls during download, some bad signature in downloaded packages and other integrity errors. How should i install correctly from the network?

Thanks.

Edited by ilia_kr

Hi ilia,

To tell the truth, I've only done the net installs for FC5 and FC6, both of which have worked well for me. I use the NC State server. But, I use that because it's local.

So look at http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html for the mirror list and append

/6/architecture/os/

where architecture means i386 prolly.

Jon

I installed usually by downloading first a base system. Once that one is in place, I went on and downloaded the graphical desktop and all the other nice things. Worked well for me when my dsl connection was still limited to 768 kb/s. Since I have a 6000 DSL connection, I usually do a netinstall in only one step.

At least with ISPs in the US, b=bit and B=byte=8 bits. Speeds are always given in lower case bit notation so:

768 kb/s = 96 KB/s

1mb/s = 125 KB/s

Also:

Hi, I would like to install Fedora 7 on my old pentium 3 pc. According to their wiki, LiveCD won't work for me because my pc isn't i686

Pentium 3 is i686. In fact, Pentium II is i686 and Pentium is i586.

Pentium 3 is i686. In fact, Pentium II is i686 and Pentium is i586.

Well, i have a Fedora 7 Live CD, which runs ok on my other pc (pentium 4) and when i try to load in on pentium 3 i get various buffer I/O errors while loading vmlinuz and the process eventually stalls.

• 1 month later...