Lenovo distribution poll

adamw

For anyone who didn't read it yet, Lenovo is running a distribution poll at http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=98 . Ubuntu is running away with it at the moment, but Mandriva's doing quite well among the rest, so if you can go and help push Mandriva further up that'd be great. Or, you know, vote for another distro if that's your choice. Just don't be surprised if the PLF orbital laser uses your house for a 'test firing' in a few days...;)

I'm with this guy in this one:

Do it the Linux way.

I do not understand why vendors are so focused on distributions (and Linux business models). Provide high quality drivers (or enable a community to provide them). Linux support for your hardware emerges automatically. Watch closely what is happening an be ready to make your (service?) business as soon as the time is right.

Little costs, little risk, win-win for all.

Regards

Thomas

P.S. Don’t limit your market for Linux to a fraction of the Linux market by selecting a “Linux vendor” or two.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure how many of you have been following the poll Lenovo put up asking which Linux Distribution would users most like to see supported on Lenovo hardware, but for those that haven't, go check it out and vote. The good news is that Mandriva is amazingly in second place behind the wonder kid (Ubuntu) and really cleaning house. This is very significant because we already knew Ubuntu would win, but Mandriva has such a significant representation (4000 Votes ahead of Debian) with its current second place position, that it may get real consideration from Lenovo.

Just being truthful, if a software engineer where to take the time to actually install the latest offerings from Mandriva and Ubuntu to do some comparisons, I have no doubt Mandriva would rate higher hands down. That's not a knock on Ubuntu, but Mandriva already has the admin tools that aren't quite there yet in Ubuntu, more polish out of the box with the look and feel, just as much software readily available, and the best hardware support available from any Linux distribution.

I'm typing this up on my Thinkpad T60 (Intel & ATI components) running 2008 and everything works great, so I'd love for users of Lenovo products to have a similar experience with Mandriva. Also, some may not have noticed, but comparing the latest reviews of openSUSE, Ubuntu, and Mandriva from various locations around the Web, Mandriva has received the best rating across the board from most, which is a very interesting change in direction for the company as a whole. Fedora Reviews haven't been conducted yet, but Mandriva has definitely done a lot with 2008 to restore some luster to its reputation which has taken a few hits the past two years.

http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=98

Edited by guppetto

I have managed to vote twice on that poll from the same IP, says a lot about the credibility of that poll, and a fact that Lenovo will be well aware of. In all honesty I believe that the end result will come down to "which community/organisation" will work best with Lenovo. I can not see this being Mandriva given the ineptitude of their management with regard to communication and financial management.

(who moved this before I managed to finish my reply, grrrr).

I can not see this being Mandriva given the ineptitude of their management with regard to communication and financial management.
Well, the "communication thing" definitely got better since Adam began to take care of communicating with the "outer world". The financial situation? ... Cannot comment on that as I don't know the companys financial data and it's future-strategy in detail.

Well, the "communication thing" definitely got better since Adam began to take care of communicating with the "outer world". The financial situation? ... Cannot comment on that as I don't know the companys financial data and it's future-strategy in detail.

I agree with you, Adam has made a difference, but it's nothing compared to, say for example, the Ubuntu marketing machine, far from it.

Ubuntu has a rather larger communications budget. (Ubuntu has larger *everything* budgets...) Our communications department consists of around three people most of the time, one of whom is me (and as you can tell, I have lots of other things to do).

The other thing Ubuntu has is lots of enthusiastic community members who post stuff about Ubuntu everywhere. One sad thing about the Mandriva community is that it tends to be really active internally - this board, the official board, other Mandriva sites - but for whatever reason, even the most enthusiastic Mandriva users never seem to get out and write articles and stuff for general interest sites. if the Mandriva community (that's *you lot* :>) would do things like that a bit more often, it'd make a really nice difference.

I am not sure that polling Linux distros means anything. Because the business model is different from MS, simply asking "Which one?" is not enough of a question to get a usable response, IMO. And, someone else already observed, there are dozens of "polls" that are not really secure and we all know that for unknown reasons, Ubuntu enthusiasts seem to enjoy skewing said polls. Ubuntu is nice, but it is not all that good, also my opinion. Skewing polls only clouds issues and does not promote Linux.