Trouble installing devede

There is no point in trying to do an upgrade from 2006 to 2007.1-Spring. It is almost certain to fail.

What the heck is so frightening that you refuse to do a new install or reformat ???.

If your Home directory is on a separate partition then you can do a clean install and not have home effected at all.

If you don't have a separate then you really should have in the first place.

In this case copy your home account onto a cd or dvd or even a usb flash drive to save not only data but also settings, mail, bookmarks, Addressbook and so on.

Then do a clean install and this time create a new and separate Home Partition of about 10Gb.

If you want to hammer obstacles into the pathway in front of you then good luck trying to get to where you want to go.

Cheers. John.

There is no point in trying to do an upgrade from 2006 to 2007.1-Spring. It is almost certain to fail.

What the heck is so frightening that you refuse to do a new install or reformat ???....

LOL

There's nothing wrong with trying the upgrade option (or else why have that option at all?), there's also a good chance that it won't fail. Barring your computer failing to load up altogether, any problems that arise can be rectified, if you don't mind the extra work. Besides, look at it as an opportunity to expand your working knowledge of GNU/Linux and Mandriva. As AussieJohn has so rightly pointed out, just ensure you have your home directory backed up.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello again

I have just found out that Devede is a Gnome only program that doesn't work with kde (which is what I am running. I will just continue looking for an alternative.

Thanks for the help anyway.

That is not true... I'm running KDE and DeVeDe runs nicely on my system.

My apologies - it appears that I WAS mis-informed. I was considering upgrading to 2007 just to run this one program but have now decided not to. I have reinstalled my os (not my home directory), just in case there was something missing etc, but still no joy. So I will just leave it for now - it's not the end of the world.

Are you chaps running 2007 or an earlier version ? I am using 2006.