Trouble installing devede

I am trying to install 'devede' so that I can make downloaded movies playable on my home dvd player but for some reason it won't install. I seem to have all the dependancies that are needed so I am getting just a little frustrated.

I have been extracting the contents as a tar.bz2 file and then going './install.sh' and getting the following answer:

[rowan@localhost Download]$ cd /home/rowan/Download/devede-3.1b

[rowan@localhost devede-3.1b]$ ./install.sh

install: cannot change permissions of `/usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES': Operation not permitted

install: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/devede.mo': Permission denied

install: cannot change permissions of `/usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES': Operation not permitted

install: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/devede.mo': Permission denied

install: cannot change permissions of `/usr/share/locale/de_DE/LC_MESSAGES': Operation not permitted

install: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/locale/de_DE/LC_MESSAGES/devede.mo': Permission denied

install: cannot change permissions of `/usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES': Operation not permitted

install: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/devede.mo': Permission denied

install: cannot change permissions of `/usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES': Operation not permitted

install: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/devede.mo': Permission denied

install: cannot change permissions of `/usr/share/locale/gl/LC_MESSAGES': Operation not permitted

install: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/locale/gl/LC_MESSAGES/devede.mo': Permission denied

install: cannot change permissions of `/usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES': Operation not permitted

install: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/devede.mo': Permission denied

install: cannot change permissions of `/usr/share/locale/nb_NO/LC_MESSAGES': Operation not permitted

install: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/locale/nb_NO/LC_MESSAGES/devede.mo': Permission denied

install: cannot change permissions of `/usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES': Operation not permitted

install: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/devede.mo': Permission denied

install: cannot change permissions of `/usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES': Operation not permitted

install: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/devede.mo': Permission denied

install: cannot change permissions of `/usr/share/locale/pt_PT/LC_MESSAGES': Operation not permitted

install: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/locale/pt_PT/LC_MESSAGES/devede.mo': Permission denied

install: cannot change permissions of `/usr/share/locale/sk/LC_MESSAGES': Operation not permitted

install: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/locale/sk/LC_MESSAGES/devede.mo': Permission denied

install: cannot change permissions of `/usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES': Operation not permitted

install: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/devede.mo': Permission denied

install: cannot change permissions of `/usr/local/bin': Operation not permitted

install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/bin/devede': Permission denied

install: cannot create directory `/usr/local/lib/devede': Permission denied

install: installing multiple files, but last argument, `/usr/local/lib/devede/' is not a directory

Try `install --help' for more information.

install: cannot create directory `/usr/local/share/devede': Permission denied

install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/share/devede/': Is a directory

install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/share/devede/': Is a directory

install: installing multiple files, but last argument, `/usr/local/share/devede/' is not a directory

install: cannot change permissions of `/usr/local/share/pixmaps': Operation not permitted

install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/share/pixmaps/devede.svg': Permission denied

install: cannot change permissions of `/usr/local/share/applications': Operation not permitted

install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/share/applications/devede.desktop': Permission denied

install: cannot create directory `/usr/local/share/doc/devede': Permission denied

install: installing multiple files, but last argument, `/usr/local/share/doc/devede/html' is not a directory

I have also tried 'su' then './install.sh but then it just does nothing.

Is there something that I have missed - I have been following instructions regarding installation - or have things changed in the meantime ? One of the extracted files mentions Gnome-Glade so maybe devede is a Gnome only program.

I suspect that the answer to my plight is quite simple so any advice is welcome.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Hey,

I've used devede (excellent program) & the version I run 2.12 states the following (which works fine for me)

Installing DeVeDe in your Home 

DeVeDe 1.1 and later can be installed in other directories, like your own home directory. This allows to use DeVeDe in machines where you don't have root access. To do so, just copy the files:

* devede.py
* devede.glade
* barras.png
* estira.png
* devede_convert.py
* devede_gtk_helper.py
* devede_other.py
* devedesans.ttf

into a folder, and run devede.py from that directory ("barras.png" and "estira.png" are in the "pixmaps" directory).

hth

[rowan@localhost Download]$ cd /home/rowan/Download/devede-3.1b

[rowan@localhost devede-3.1b]$ ./install.sh

-snip-

Did you do
su

enter your password and hit enter, then

./install.sh

You have to run the devede-3.1b install.sh script as root.

I just took a look at the install.sh script, and it wouldn't give you any output if the install was successful. :)

So you have probably installed it? If you can't find it in your menu, open a terminal and do

devede

If it's installed and working, you can add it to your menu.

I was under the impression that ¨no action was good action¨ so it does appwar to have tried to install. I did do 'su' then install and all seems well so I entered 'devede' and got the following reply:

[rowan@localhost ~]$ devede

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/local/bin/devede", line 36, in ?

import cairo

ImportError: No module named cairo

MCC tells me that several different Cairo programs are available but I don't know which one to install. Success seems so close that I can almost taste it.

MCC tells me that several different Cairo programs are available but I don't know which one to install.
You should install libcairo and python-cairo.
devede is available as a Mandriva package in /contrib/backports for 2007 Spring
Adam, I believe Rowan is using Mandriva 2006 or 2007... I'm not sure?

@ Rowan- What version are you using?

Hi all

Thanks for the advice. I am running 2006 Official.

I did urpmi for python-cairo and libcairo and got them both installed ok. In the meantime I decided to uninstall what was already installed and start afresh. When I got to the install stage I went su then ./install.sh (as previously) and my system just did nothing - see the following.

[rowan@localhost Download]$ su

[root@localhost Download]# ./install.sh

bash: ./install.sh: No such file or directory

[root@localhost Download]# cd /home/rowan/Download/devede-3.1b

[root@localhost devede-3.1b]# ./install.sh

[root@localhost devede-3.1b]# exit

exit

[rowan@localhost Download]$ devede

File "/usr/local/bin/devede", line 36, in ?

import cairo

File "/tmp/python-cairo-buildroot/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cairo/__init__.py", line 1, in ?

ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cairo/_cairo.so: undefined symbol: cairo_ps_surface_create

Sorry but I forgot to cd to the extracted files. Should installation cause the system to go crazy like a normal tar.gz ? I installed 3 libcairo2, 1libsvg-cairo and 1 python-cairo package - is this what you were meaning ?

Once again thanks for the help.

Here is the output of python -V: Python 2.4.1

python -c 'import cairo' doen not appear to work as follows:

[rowan@localhost ~]$ python -c 'import cairo'

File "<string>", line 1, in ?

File "/tmp/python-cairo-buildroot/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cairo/__init__.py", line 1, in ?

ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cairo/_cairo.so: undefined symbol: cairo_ps_surface_create

It does appear that I have been wasting my time and yours also.

I want to use devede because it seems to be so easy to use so maybe an earlier version might work.

Thanks for all your help anyway.

It does appear that I have been wasting my time and yours also.

I want to use devede because it seems to be so easy to use so maybe an earlier version might work.

You haven't wasted my time, it's a learning experience, and yes, you should try an older version. Let us know if you have any problems with an older version?

Thanks for the words of encouragement Greg. So far I have not been able to locate an old version of devede that I can use - I have found one for debian but I feel unsure about using it.

In the mean time I have tried several other ¨supposed¨ dvd conversion programmes and got the following -

Dvdstyler only seems to recognise movies that were originally encoded as mpg - ones that I have converted from avi or wmv to mpg are not accepted. Also no instruction manual that I can find. I have reencoded some movies into mpeg2 format but that does not work.

Avidemux is even less relaible - it closes randomly for no reason.

Tovid is easy to setup but ALWAYS gives an error message about ¨no output file¨.

Maybe it is just me having a bad day but I am beginning to suspect that there is something wrong with my installation of 2006.

I will just keep trying and we will see what happens.

Thanks to everybody.

So far I have not been able to locate an old version of devede that I can use
I would suggest that you send an email to Raster (the owner of the project), at the address on his info page here: freshmeat.net

Explain your problem, and ask if he would make an older version available to you?

Alternatively, you could install a newer version of Mandriva. :)

I would suggest that you send an email to Raster (the owner of the project), at the address on his info page here: freshmeat.net

Explain your problem, and ask if he would make an older version available to you?

Alternately, you could install a newer version of Mandriva. :)

Greg, installing a newer version sounds like a good idea. I have been having so many problems with various dvd converting programmes not working that I am getting just a little annoyed.

Will an upgrade from 2006 to 2007 wipe out my ¨home¨ directory¨ or my other saved info like emails etc or can they be left intact and undamaged ?

Or must I do a completely new install and reformat from scratch ? - This I will not do !!

If anyone can tell me how to upgrade to 2007 or even 2008, without wiping info, then I will gladly do that.

Many thanks Greg and Adam for your advice so far.