IBM signs-in to OpenOffice.org

spinynorman

With IBMs backing, OpenOffice will definitely become more "mainstream" in the future. That's good news indeed. :)

We use OOo at our newspaper already (due to the many viruses that affect MS Office and then cripple the whole Windows network by exploiting vulnerabilities) and with a lot of uccess, but if I want to share documents with outsiders, I am still forced to submit them in a MS Office compatible format (.rtf, .doc, ...) or as PDF on a regular basis, which is a downside. That could change in a few years however.

I noticed format loss when saving as .doc. I've been sending as PDF usually now due to the problems I was getting all the time.

Besides, if you send in OpenOffice format, I'm sure it's easy for people to download it easily enough :)

Just a week later IBM and Openoffice.org are back in the news: http://www.news.com/IBM+to+offer+office+so...ml?tag=nefd.top

and referencing my other post heres where you can get YOURS

https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/w...amp;S_PKG=lnxdl

just create a free account and download away.

BTW choose the alternate servers. the MAIN Linux server too 11 hours, he alternate to 20 minutes

i say good for IBM.

i had to buy office 2007 because of research done with some govt. agencies which only take word docs. i installed this monstrous software suite (about 600 MB) which then required another 4x MB of security updates. it saves by default to the .docx format too. as of now, i still try to get used to the new "tabs" layout, but am contemplating going back to the good 'ol drop-down menu style.

i cannot understand for the life of me why everyone doesn't just automatically convert to openoffice. i know that .doc, .ppt files sometimes lose formatting in teh coversion. but, seriously, it doesn't take a financial wizard to understand that if i cut out a per-seat license of office from my business budget, i will save money. especially as you consider this has to be done (seemingly) semi-annually.

as arctic mentioned, it saves times as far as malicious attacks go too.

btw, if you use the ooimpress presentation software, you might want to consider the ooolatex project. i use latex for my papers and publications and it's so much better than using an equation editor.

sorry for the rant,

jon

Edited by JonEberger