Just want to share..

Very impressive!!

Thanks a lot!

About the improvement for kde or gnome, how did that thing end where they were confused about Mdk 9.0 kde being faster than Gentoo kde?

At the time I didn't care to much to follow it,... did they figure out why this was? Or was it just a subjective false observation?

Guest fubar::chi
Also notice the size of the executable and library when down a bit, which make a system smaller when you think about the number of executable and lib you have in /bin /usr/bin etc...

Imagine the results on KDE or Gnome !!!  Are you convinced?

MOttS

now you're gonna make me recompile again :)

not this month though maybe next month

Guest fubar::chi

i started doing the mandrake a la gentoo thing ( instead of actually using gentoo) i figure this way I can keep my uptime :) )

I should be done in about a month

I should be done in about a month

:mystilol: :mystilol: :mystilol:

Did you run some apps with 'time' to benchmark it?

Lemme know what will happen !

MOttS

It also helps to use the

strip

command to take debuging symbols out of binaries. It's makes them much smaller (about 2/3) and thus much faster. This is done in LFS and is especially useful for kde which has a tone of debug code. Unless you really know what you're doing I wouldn't use strip for anything other than debug.

...and yes, it's easier/better to compile kde without debug.

bvc, what about compiling it with --disable-debug ?  

This is how I did it. Didn't know about the 'strip' command.

Yes, that's what I was referring to when I said "...and yes, it's easier/better to compile kde without debug"...sorry, I should have been more specific.

The reason I mentioned strip is because some pkgs either won't accept --disable-debug (won't compile), or gcc might be complaining, so in order to successfully compile you start taking flags off, so when finished you can use strip to do what --disable-debug does.....errrr...hope that makes sense :wink:

http://linuxfromscratch.org/view/4.0/chapt...r09/theend.html Of course don't use the $LFS chroot environment, and use at your own risk :twisted:

Just a quick example :wink: Notice file says -not stripped. Binary idesk then goes from 683k to 47k :P So much for 2/3 :lol:

[root@localhost bvc]# cd /home/tar/idesk-0.3.5

[root@localhost idesk-0.3.5]# file idesk

idesk: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

[root@localhost idesk-0.3.5]# ls -l idesk

-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     bvc        683000 Feb  9 15:28 idesk*

[root@localhost idesk-0.3.5]# strip --strip-debug idesk

[root@localhost idesk-0.3.5]# ls -l idesk

-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     bvc         48499 Apr 23 23:49 idesk*

Distros are already srtipped. This is just if it won't or is not recommended to build with --disable-debug....or if you download some binary rpm or build from a tar and want to be sure.