Which video card for Mandriva?

Guest Bobby O.

I have one pc with radeon 9200 128 bits+monitor lcd 17" -works great, one pc with radeon 9600 pro + monitor lcd 17" - works great, and one pc with radon x1650 +monitor 20" wide - not work great - in fact it work maxim at resolution 1280x1024 - on web i see iti is a problem with ati driver for raden x1000 class, i wait for mandriva 2008 to see if are changes.

Guest Bobby O.

This system will be old Intel socket 370 MB with a pentium III 1ghz. 512 megs of ram and a 20 gig HD. The MB has a 4x AGP slot. I just wanted to know which VC would be easy with Mandriva Thanks

The best AGP card money can buy is Nvidia 7600GT.

There's also 7800GS, which is somewhat dearer and definitely NOT performing better.

In theory, best of all is the (quite expensive) Radeon X1950 Pro, but its Linux drivers are pants, and it also has occasional heating problems (depends on the vendor and cooling device used).

All that said, I'm perfectly happy with my two 7600GS cards (I have one AGP and one PCIE), which are fine performers and- at least under one manufacturer (Leadtek) - are completely silent, as they can use a passive heat radiator instead of a fan based cooling system.

Edited by scarecrow

iphitus: ATI cards supported by the free driver generally work fine. only the proprietary driver is a pain.

But their 3D performance is terrible compared to a similar nvidia card under closed drivers. If 3D performance isn't an issue, then you're right an older, supported radeon would be ideal -- and would ensure driver support for the life of the card. I've packaged the proprietary driver, I know how much of a pita it can be :)

James

The only card I ever had a problem with was the built in SiS video on my lappy and that only happened on Madrake 10.1. It has worked fine since then. Also I have a number of nVidia cards that have never given me a problem with any version I have used. So I would have to recommend an nVidia card for sure.