KDE One Free crashes while copying, problem!

Guest mtantawy

Guest mtantawy

hi everybody:

iam a totaly new user or wiling to be a user for the linux and i found mandruva so i said i'll give it a try with a small copy wich is KDE one free spring 2007

i downloaded it by torrent"no hash fails thanx god" burnt the image succesfully, booted from it but::

i got no options like boot from harddisk and others i saw on web pages discussing installation process i reached the disktop and i run live install

forgot to tell that i have win xp installed on a partition on my 160 HD, i made a complete 40 GB partition for the mandrive

i choosed to install in that partition and it formatted quickly and begin copying files it went good but before reaching quarter of the bar it freezed even the cursor was working but i meant the copying files freezed and after some minutes it closed the live install with no errors or anything that seemed to be wrong

i restarted the laptop after retrying 2 times with no hope but freeze at the same level exactly

my windows started well and in disk managment i found 2 partitions for each try to install the mandriva but they were empty so t seems not a byte have been copied

that's all

what is wrong out there?

is KDE or gnom better ???is only the accompanying programs is the diff or performance or use betwen personal and business or what??

also please tell me how will i deal with booting the two systems installed???

any help ......

thanx in advance for all of you

Mahmoud Tantawy

Dual booting is accomplished with a boot loader program, whether lilo or grub, which is installed when the system is installed. If you are booting your notebook and it goes directly to Xp as normal, then the boot loader was not installed, or the system was not installed. But I am nor certain as to what your post is saying. So:

Does the live cd boot to a usable system?

How did you burn the live cd?

How did you make the partitions?

Let's answer questions about KDE or Gnome after we are certain of what the status is of the computer. B)

Guest mtantawy

am not sure about what u mean by usable system...so what i got is win xp working well and an empty partition inwhich i will install my mandriva , also i checked the cd on winxp it opened and gave me the files ok .

i burnt the cd as an image using nero but not on a slow rate so i'll try the slowest and i wish it will work

the partitions were made by win xp then i made a choice "i don't remember what was it" during mandriva install so it gives me the partitions and i choosed the empty one and choosed to use ful space "a slider appeared to me" and it made resize and forat in less than a minute with some warnings "they didn't mean error but just r u sure.....??" and then the copy files started and in a minute it it stopped going on and in minutes without any touch the window close and everything work as if i didn't do a thing even if i re tried to install

by the way i downloaded that small KDE which is burnt in cd not dvd

bye

Mahmoud Tantawy

OK.

Do you have one hard drive?

If yes, then the windows partition will show up in Linux as hda1 provided the system is ide. If it is sata, then the drive may be sda1. Your partition for installation will then be hda2, if ide, or sda2, if sata. Linux should request a format to ext3, as windows created an ntfs partition, which is not usable in Linux. The partition should not need resizing, just formatting. Try again.

Guest mtantawy

the problem i face isn't with formating or no

it is that the process of copying files stop and never completes so i don't have the OS installed

DO YOU understand what i want to say??

i tried again to burn the image but i found that nero, ultra iso, magic iso all burn at max speed so i can't slow it down but am now trying to verify data after burn using nero

i'll try again

but incase please answer me what may cause the files not to be copied this way

also, how can i check that sum "i don't understand that anyway??!!"

Mahmoud Tantawy

A "Live" distro will boot to a functioning system without installation. I think that you have downloaded a regular version that requires installation, although I highly recommend downloading "Mandriva One" which is their live cd. You can boot to a fully functioning system and then perform an installation.

Get this program for checking md5sum in windows.

Guest mtantawy

i downloaded mandriva one spring kde CD

AND IT BOOTS okay and be as if i have a OS INSTALLED

but the second step which is to install it by clicking install live...

and goes through till copying files and it stop copying at a certain level and after some minutes the installer close without saying any error or anything

i'll check the sum now

any ideas why the copy stop??

Mahmoud Tantawy

Guest mtantawy

sorry guys

i seem to be the most stupid ever

on the slider of the resizer i just gave the mandriva a about 300 MB so it didn't find a place to copy files

am trying now

wish me luck

I'm not convinced that you don't have problems with the partitions that you have created. What I'd recommend is to use Windows XP's Disk Manager to delete all the logical volumes and partitions in the 40 gig space that you want to use for Mandriva. So that you have 40 gig of what I think Windows will call "unused" space.

When you run the Mandriva installer, it will offer as an option to "use free space". Select this option and let it create and format the partitions that are needed automatically.

Jim

Guest mtantawy

at last

am in

installed and now looking for drivers and stuff like that

anyone have an idea wether drivers are loaded or what??

i have fujitsu siemens laptop amilo 1718....

Thanx for all of you

Mahmoud Tantawy

The default drivers for intel chip sets work just fine. The proprietary ATI drivers (video) are only needed for gaming, so I am not sure you need to be concerned about those.