AMD AM2 6000 + Motherboards

mindwave

I'm looking at potentially upgrading my linux box to an AMD X2 (from an intel duu core) from 3.4GHZ (2x1.7) to the X2 6GHZ (2x3GHZ)

and am looking for MB recomendations.

some ideas. I have LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of hard drives. I'm JUST now starting to move from PATA 133 to SATA, also I dont really see (for me) much use in dual graphics cards (i dont game), and 2GB of ram is about all I could really afford

personally I have always LOVED Asus with AMD products but at $130 the M2N+ is the most expensive on my list

although it DOES have 2PATA133 ports abd 4SATA ports along with 2 firewire ports

The next 2 I'm looking at are from Biostar.

The Tforce 7025-M2 and the Tforce 570U, both pretty good, one $75 one $90

Lastly there are 2 from MSI

the K9N at $56 only has 1PATA133 and 2SATA's but at THAT price! its a good front runner

and then the KNNGPGM at $75 has about the same specs, just looks like a little more headroom.

maybe you have some ideas that YOU have tried?

those would be appreciated. REalize I'm a CHEAP guy and using built in video hasnt ever really hurt me in the past, and in 20 years of building my own PC's i've only spent over $100 on a MB twice, and the 1st one was in going from an 8088 to an 80286.......

any and all valid opinioons appreciated.

thanks

J

At the low end, the ECS GeForce6100SM-M motherboard is probably competitive with the MSI you are looking at.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/...D=1&LanID=9

You can probably get it for $50 US or less. I built a machine with it using a CPU/motherboard deal I got from a local Fry's store (their website is http://www.outpost.com)

Like the MSI you mentioned, onboard it can accomodate 2 PATA devices and 2 SATA devices and has onboard video, audio, and LAN.

I had no problems with it, but it is at the real low-end of Socket AM2 motherboard choices.

I would go with an MSI from your list. I currently have a Biostar SLI board and getting SLI working is a little quirky. You mus start in CLI. You must clean boot (if you dual boot) and you must make some xorg edits yourself, in my case from the Nvidia sight. Have you considered ASRock? That is Asus' discount line.

I would go with an MSI from your list. I currently have a Biostar SLI board and getting SLI working is a little quirky. You mus start in CLI. You must clean boot (if you dual boot) and you must make some xorg edits yourself, in my case from the Nvidia sight. Have you considered ASRock? That is Asus' discount line.

you know, I just REALLY dont see much use (for me anyway) in SLI (umm thats the twin vid card system right?) I do some light video editing, nothing major, home movies mostly, but thanks for the warning, thats WAY more trouble than I want to invest

however i did NOT know that asrock was the Epiphone of the Asus line.

I actually went to AMD.com and looked over their recommended MB list and chose from there, thats the only way I have ever had 100% success when dealing with new, to me, technology.

thanks guys, keep it coming!

j