Google Earth Flight Sim!

Greg2

I've found this blog entry today: google-earth-flight-simulator

It tells of an Easter Egg in the new beta 4.2 of Google Earth... a flight simulator!

I've installed this on Mandriva 2007, and I've been flying around all morning! :D

You should remove any existing Google Earth installation first, including the ~/.googleearth directory. Then install the new beta version, and open it up to complete the install, then close it. Then in a terminal do

echo 1 > .googleearth/Registry/google/googleearthplus/User/flightsim/isenabled

Now open Google Earth, and switch between the Earth view and the new Sky view. Then go to Tools > Enter Flight Simulator, and away you go. You will only find this 'Enter Flight Simulator' option in either Earth or Sky view, my installation shows it in Earth. You can also open it with Ctrl+Alt+A, some people have reported that Ctrl+A works on their installation.

Enjoy! :)

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Tried to get this working on Spring, and just get MD5 checksum errors when I try to run the install script. Cleared my browser cache and downloaded again, with exactly the same result.

Found another group of people with the same problem here: http://groups.google.de/group/earth-linux/...msgs.xml?num=50

Did you do anything special to get 4.2 working, or have they updated it since then with a broken file?

Did you do anything special to get 4.2 working, or have they updated it since then with a broken file?

I've done nothing that isn't in my post. I just checked and my version is 4.2.0180.1134 (beta). In the thread you've linked to, the version is 4.2.196.2018? So they may have updated it? Maybe they didn't want you to have the flight sim? Did you try this download:earth.google.com/download-earth

Yeah, I went for earth.google.com and then downloads, clicked agree and it downloaded GoogleEarthLinux.bin without offering me a choice of version number. If I less the file, it says within it "Google Earth for GNU/Linux 4.2.196.2018", so I guess it's a later (and apparently broken) version than the one you downloaded.

OK, I take it back :)

I downloaded again (exactly the same as before, from earth.google.com, and this time it says "4.2.180.1134" as yours did. And it installs and runs! :)

I didn't do the echoing to the file though, just did Ctrl-A to enter the flight sim (Ctrl-Shift-A didn't work, Ctrl-Alt-A didn't work, but Ctrl-A does for me).