Novell to port Silverlight to Linux

spinynorman

Microsoft has extended its controversial partnership with Novell to make the Silverlight cross-platform, cross-browser media player run on Linux desktops.

Novell's team has committed to put Silverlight 1.0 - released as final code this week - and version 1.1 on Linux. Microsoft will provide access to Silverlight test suites, specifications, and video and audio codecs used by Microsoft, while Novell has promised to implement and distribute Silverlight "for the major Linux distributions."

More at The Register.

So basically, you don't like it, because it's Novell? That doesn't really seem too reasonable. Not only that, but it's somewhat of an MS mentality - hating a project because of the company (or, in MS's case, because they didn't make it), instead of looking at the project for it's own merits.

No I don't like it because it's MS. No technical reasons. I just have enough of the tricks of MS triing to maintain its monopoly at all costs. Whatever they do I look at it suspiciously. For example in this case if they won over Flash, because that's what it's for, what holds them back to release a new closed Silverlight 2.0 which is incompatible with the open Silverlight 1.0?

On this one I am totally in agreement with Dexter.

After getting away from Windows OS I am not at all interested in a Microsoft creep into my system just because Novell is stupid enough to go along with it.

I also delete Mono and its connections as well. I don't care if other Linux users use it, that is their business but I am not going to go along with it, full stop.

Cheers. John.