Weird/Flaky Internet Connection [solved]

krisbee2000

I just upgraded my internet connection to DSL yesterday from dial-up. It is a 4 way router, with wireless. I connect using a hardline ethernet cable to my ethernet card.

I have full web browser access, but other types of connections are sketchy... for example, irc.freenode.net works half of the time... and I can't get any efnet or undernet irc servers to work.

Bittorrent was working for a moment, but then never again... but of course I might be searching for something that isn't legitimately available.

If I log on to amsn, it always seems to work... so that seems alright.

Does anyone know what is going on? The irc servers work fine in windows... and I don't have any firewall settings on my computer (that I am aware of).

Thank you in advance,

Kris

Edited by krisbee2000

I guess you can tune your router's firewall via it's html control panel- or maybe not?

Which router/model?

Most have a rather easy to understand CP, and some of them accept direct *nix commands to set their iptables firewall via telnet.

I can work on its' settings via the html control panel. I have tried just disabling the nat/firewall setting entirely, and it didn't make a difference either way...

The brand is:Paradyne

However, since some sites work in Windows, but it doesn't seem to in linux, then I would assume the router/modem is fine, and it is a setting in linux somewhere... right?

You won't ever be able to disable NAT, since you need this to go from public IP addressing to private addressing which is what you'll be using locally.

Do you have ipv6 enabled in Linux? Maybe this could be causing you some issues. You could disable this by adding:

alias net-pf-10 off

to /etc/modprobe.conf and rebooting.

That didn't seem to work, and actually stopped mozilla-firefox from working (but konqueror worked just great).

I get no response from pinging irc.prison.net, or us.undernet.org... but fine with any http server (www.google.com, etc.)

I tried bittorrent of mandriva 2007, and it says 0 people... how could that be?

Something is definitely screwy... I went ahead and commented out the line, but here is my modprobe.conf

[krisbee@localhost etc]$ cat modprobe.conf
alias sound-slot-0 snd-ens1371
install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd; /bin/true
remove snd-ens1371 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-ens1371
install snd-ens1371 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-ens1371 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe usb-storage; /bin/true
remove es1371 /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove es1371
install es1371 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install es1371
options kqemu major=0
options snd-ens1371 joystick_port=1
alias eth0 8139too
alias eth1 eth1394
# alias net-pf-10 off

There was an error on boot about eth1 not being available.. should I delete that one in mcc? Is there anything else you need to help me?

Thanks in advance,

Kris

Oh, and I just tried something... and I don't know what to think... I loaded mirc using wine, and it connected to irc.prison.net with no problem. Xchat won't...

What is with that?

Can you give me a very popular bittorrent so I can double check that? I was getting the error: Unable to map a port using any service

You could try a bittorrent client which uses uPnP to open ports at the router. I can mention Azureus and Ktorrent- both are able to do that, after been configured properly.

If you are using static addresses and not dhcp at your LAN, one way to find out if it is the router to blame (which is likely the case) is putting your computer at DMZ and the trying to run some application.

Edited by scarecrow

Well, the thing I discovered yesterday was I think I am just having a run of bad luck with my tests, and that maybe everything is fine (except xchat)...

Since mIRC works through wine, that would mean whatever my irc server issues are program related, not connection since its' going through the network established in linux.

As for the urpmi sites I tried to go on to, I tried ireland, and it pinged fine, added those, and now my repositories are setup just fine (this was one of my original tests to try the connection; the repositories I used to have just didn't work, so I was worried my internet connection settings weren't right)...

Bittorrent, the mandriva torrent did not work, but I grabbed linspire and knoppix, and they started to immediately download... so that would mean I just had some bad torrents for my original test, right?

I will try your ktorrent idea and see what that does... the torrents I have been having trouble with always say the the torrent tracker timed out...

I will also try a different linux irc client, and see what that does for me.

Thanks for everyone's help so far... and if anyone has any more suggestions, keep 'em coming.... I still don't know why shutting down ipv6 didn't allow firefox to work (though I disabled ipv6 IN firefox to make firefox work)...

Edited by krisbee2000

Things still aren't working right... I can't connect to any urpmi sites, and very few torrents... here is the output of my ifconfig:

[root@localhost Torrents]# ifconfig
eth0	  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:18:4D:F0:95:70
	  inet addr:192.168.1.2  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
	  inet6 addr: fe80::218:4dff:fef0:9570/64 Scope:Link
	  UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1458  Metric:1
	  RX packets:122194 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
	  TX packets:134409 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
	  collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
	  RX bytes:136472884 (130.1 MiB)  TX bytes:15546170 (14.8 MiB)
	  Interrupt:11 Base address:0x8000

eth1	  Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-11-06-00-00-00-C6-02-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
	  UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:496  Metric:1
	  RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
	  TX packets:0 errors:25 dropped:25 overruns:0 carrier:0
	  collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
	  RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

lo		Link encap:Local Loopback
	  inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
	  inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
	  UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
	  RX packets:5981 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
	  TX packets:5981 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
	  collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
	  RX bytes:365828 (357.2 KiB)  TX bytes:365828 (357.2 KiB)

I know something isn't set right, and it is very frustrating... please help! Should I have my firewall/nat server turned on in my dsl router or not... is there a setting there? I have it not blocking any ports...

Why does eth1 always show up on boot and as a failure? Why does it show up at all?

Thank you again in advance,

Kris

And just to help, a little more detail...

[krisbee@localhost etc]$ cat sysctl.conf
# Kernel sysctl configuration file for Mandriva Linux
#
# For binary values, 0 is disabled, 1 is enabled.  See sysctl(8) and
# sysctl.conf(5) for more details.

# Disables IP dynaddr
net.ipv4.ip_dynaddr = 1
# Disable ECN
net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 1
# Controls source route verification
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1

# Controls the System Request debugging functionality of the kernel
#kernel.sysrq = 0

# Controls whether core dumps will append the PID to the core filename.
# Useful for debugging multi-threaded applications.
kernel.core_uses_pid = 1

# If you set this variable to 1 then cd tray will close automatically when the
# cd drive is being accessed. Setting this to 1 is not advised as it has been
# known to cause problems when supermount is enabled.
dev.cdrom.autoclose=0
# removed to fix some digital extraction problems
# dev.cdrom.check_media=1

# to be able to eject via the device eject button (magicdev)
dev.cdrom.lock=0
net.ipv4.icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses=0
net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter=0
net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts=0
net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_all=0
net.ipv4.conf.all.log_martians=0
kernel.sysrq=1
net.ipv4.tcp_default_win_scale=0

Why does eth1 always show up on boot and as a failure? Why does it show up at all?
You did not delete the old dial-up connection, before creating your new dsl connection. So I would suggest going to: Configure Your Computer > Network & Internet, and delete both connections. Then set up a new connection for your dsl.

This should solve your problems?

hi krisbee2000,

i am having somewhat similar problems: i have a winXP machine connected to the same LAN that has no network problems. i don't use irc, but some sites didn't load in firefox (disabling IPv6 in FF fixed that), and i can't get to ftp mirrors in urpmi.

i can connect to http mirrors in urpmi. do you want to try that and let me know if it works for you too? that will make it almost certain we have same problem (and we have a saying in hebrew that says "the problem of many is a half of a consolation...". ;) i'm not sure it has an english equivalent)

you can have a look in the topic i opened about it here.

update: there is an english equivalent: "Trouble shared is trouble halved"

Edited by ofri

All solved!

alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

What I needed was the second line, which someone on the irc channel was nice enough to tell me. This solved all of my wonky problems, including the urpmi, bittorrent, and some other things. Now everything works like a charm.

Thank you all so much for your help!

Kris

Not that I want to praise myself, but that "someone" was me. Hehehehe... :P

Ah! the man himself. I want to thank you personally then (and my wife thanks you!). It was driving me crazy, and for the past few nights I would wake up out of my sleep thinking about what it could be, and that is a miserable thing! It is working fantastic, and it is great to be connected to the net properly now!

Thanks again!

Kris