KDE interface has weird font "effects" [solved]

Guest ProbablyX

Guest ProbablyX

Hello!

When I change my KDE interface to certain fonts, such as Calibri, the title bar reads like this:

"P a g e - K o n q u e r o r", that is, it adds spaces!

The same thing happens to the song playing in Amarok and to Kopete's "blablah has signed in". Though "has signed in" is with normal spacing, the rest isn't, (UPDATE: this must be because that text is italic).

I think I've had this problem before when I was using Debian, so it can be fixed, but I cant recall how.

If I bring up the "select font" dialog and choose bold, the spacing is added to the example. However if I go to the font installation module i KDE, the font(s) look fine, even in bold and italic!

Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot! =)

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Not using badly designed fonts is a sure shot.

One font that was known to render dismally, at least in a lot of web pages, is the free edition of Microshaft's Tahoma, and surely enough it isn't the only poorly designed font. Or, to put it in another way: It's not KDE's fault that a Veesta font is not rendering properly. That Calibri font is designed to render using Cleartype, which is a closed source, MS-only rendering engine- which means that proper rendering using another engine is neither supported, nor quite workable.

The only thing you can do is opening kcontrol, and setting a forced 96 dpi resolution for your fonts in there... but this is far from being a clean solution.

Why not use Adobe OpenType fonts instead, which are both very good looking and rendering properly? Microshaft can only dream some 99% of the Adobe font's quality and looks...

Edited by scarecrow

Guest ProbablyX

the weird thing is that these are the same fonts as I have on my Debian laptop, where they work great.

There are no Linux/free fonts that can handle the letters åäö (Swedish) in a satisfactory manner, that's why I use MS fonts...

Well, I'm also using a desktop in a language which has many non-ASCII chars (Greek), and have no trouble with the default font of my distro (Bitstream Vera).

If you feel that some MS font would render better, then try Verdana, which is a well designed and properly rendering font (although admittedly, slightly dull looking...).

You could also do this without a reboot, but would require doing this:

CTRL-ALT-F1 (to get console window)
Login as root
service dm stop
service xfs stop
service xfs start
service dm start

That stops the display manager and X Font Server. Restarting them would do a similar thing to rebooting no doubt.