can't login to kde after installing task-gnome

opvask

in Mandriva 2007.1 Spring, when I install Gnome (task-gnome or task-gnome-minimal) I run into problems. I must add that I normally use auto login on boot.

1. I cannot login to Gnome. Gnome will hang during login. The splash screen will appear but then nothing else happens.

2. I cannot login to (my main environment) KDE instead. The system will automatically choose Gnome during boot, but as mentioned in #1, Gnome does not startup properly. If I use CTRL+ALT+Backspace I can go back to the Login screen, but if I try to login to KDE then I will be directed back to the login screen immediately. The same thing will happen if I try with failsafe.

How to solve this? Why does Gnome hang during boot? All files needed should be installed with "task-gnome".

How can I manage to login with KDE again?

Sounds like some problems with the ICEauthority file. Try to fix it by launching the following command as root (press ctrl+alt+F1 for console mode as root, press ctrl+alt+F7 for getting back to the graphical login):

chown username /home/username/.ICEauthority

after that restart the Xserver with ctrl+alt+backspace.

Hope that fixes it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestion even though it did not solve the problem. I have been out of town for a while so I have not been able to try this before now. I did manage to solve the problem today though. I did a real quick "ctrl+alt+backspace" immediately when the nvidia screen appeared. I was then able to go to the login screen before Gnome started loading and log in to KDE. :)

Now I only wonder why Gnome keeps hanging when installed with task-gnome. It has never worked for me in 2007.1

Thanks for the help

O

If correcting permissions doesn't fix it, then Mandriva really borked it tremendously. Actually, I got sick of the many bugs in 2007.1 that no one cared about to correct that I upgraded to cooker some weeks ago, where I at least got some kind of fixes for the previously broken gnome packages.

QA still sucks.