To The Linux Masters

bookie

Hi again, still trying to find my way around the MCNLivecd.

I hope that we didn't get off to a bad start chris:b?

Without trying to be offensive I would like to point out that some times the people in the know do not take into consideration that we who are learning are not on their level of expertise - otherwise we wouldn't need any help - would we?

I am not writing this with the intention of offending chris:b or any other very capable Linux guru - it's just we sometimes need a little mothering ( without the risk of being offensive) by the people that can. The questions that we sometimes put to you experts might seem trivial, but for us this is all part of the learning curve.

Once again, this is by no means a dig at any one in particular - more of a general point of view.

I am a long way from being Linux competent, but I am learning something new everyday, and for someone with a limited brain capacity Ha,Ha, I am getting there slowly.

I will be open and say, from what I've read, chris:b is a very helpful influence on this forum. It impresses me that people devote so much time to helping others.

i would like to finish by saying that it is fantastic to be a part of the Linux experience. It is a shame that the windows enthusiasts do not know what they are missing.

Keep up the good work!!

bookie

Edited by bookie

Hello bookie.

We try to be as newcomer-friendly as possible, but as some of us are already a bit more experienced, they sometimes (involuntarily) forget that some things that are logical for experienced users (or: everyday tasks like using a command line) are not known, logical or comprehensible for less experienced users. If you do not understand things, don't feel shy to ask - even if you think it might be a stupid question. There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. Furthermore, even the most experienced users on this board started their Linux journey with zero knowledge about the OS, thus were as lost back then as you might feel at times.

I encourage you to ask as much as you feel is necessary in order to understand what is done in which way and how. If someone posts e.g. "please post the result of 'ps aux'", feel free to ask how to do it and what this command is good for. Also, if you see commands like urpmi, ps aux, grep and so on mentioned in here and wonder what they are good for, you can always take a look at the man pages on your distribution (in a terminal, type "man urpmi" for browsing through the urpmi-manual, press "q" for exiting).

Anyway: ask, ask, ask whenever you want. We are all willing to make your Linux experience as pleasant as possible. B)

I made the supreme mistake yesterday and let my impatience, frustration, you name it - get in the way of the Linux experience.

Anyone reading the posts from yesterday will see that I wasn't too appreciative of chris:b and Greg. I have apologized for that, so I don't want people thinking that I am an --------.

I put, like a lot of others, a lot of my life into Linux. I discovered Linux because of a very good friend here in Sweden who wanted to offer me an alternative to windows. We like so many others get classified as computer nerds. I think that is kind of a complement.

The other reason for having the need for something like Linux is the ever increasing time I spend at home. I followed a young Swedish girl back to Sweden when I was 37 and she 20. I know what you are thinking "cradle snatcher" yep I agree, but after nearly fourteen years together I think it works very well.

Sweden isn't the promised land and they really have a problem with outsiders. I know you are probably under the impression that everything is sweetness and light with the Swedes. Sorry to spoil your illusion that is far from the truth - but not why I am writing this post.

I have reeducated myself several times over, have spoken the language fluently after as little as one year, tried every avenue to get work. I have had good jobs where everything starts OK ,but the Swedish prejudice gets in the way of everything.

I don't want to generalize - but it is quite hard to accept at times. "Why is he still living here" you are asking. Well, if it wasn't for my long term girlfriend, I would have moved years ago.

A few months ago I had a practical position at a well known welding company here in Sundsvall. The practical position was organized by the job center and while you are practicing you are insured by the job center. Well, after a week it was quite obvious that the company were using me as cheap labor - quite common these days and not confined to Sweden.

I hurt myself quite badly because of the lack of interest in giving me assistance when I needed it. I didn't break an arm, leg or anything like that - I badly strained my back which has been giving me serious problems ever since. My days are good, bad, can't get out of bed, can function as a normal person, but not get a job!!

I have tried every avenue to get the job center, social services, my doctor to get their act together and help me - but nada. This is also a typical attitude here in Sweden and not confined just to immigrants, refugees etc.

I am continuing to fight the system - but am being stonewalled at every turn!!!

It is for this reason I am so grateful for the Linux experience. My girlfriend - who BTW will not marry me - because I am damaged goods Ha, Ha, has stuck by me through everything. She is also very sad knowing the way I have been treated and the fact that it is more common than she would first admit.

This is by no way a sob story more a case of me being open as a person and wanting to share with you my reasons for coming to Linux.

I am sure there are similar stories out there.

Thanks for listening why I dribbled on about myself.

bookie

Yes arctic is right.

I am unfortunately a good example of such users, as I often write short answers (out of habit, or hurry), which a new Linux user would find very difficult to understand. However, I never dismiss a request for precision/detail as being trivial, stupid, boring or whatever.

As arctic said, no question is stupid.

There are two independant points related to this, which I wish to raise:

- One problem with forums is that one can never know the knowledge level of others, and the so-called "status" is barely helpfull, and sometimes misleading. So new Linux users have to keep in mind that answers may be directed first at an average (or equal to the post's author) knowledge, and further questions on the topic help target further answers to a more adequate knowledge level.

- I feel we forum members suffer from the infamous "RTFM" from the past. Sometimes, I wish I could (and sometimes I do) answer something along the lines of "RTHM" where 'H' would stand for "Helpfull" :) When I write this kind of answer, it is never a "do it yourself" answer, but rather an indication that the given resource is a good one; and I wouldn't mind giving more details if the given resource is not enough, or not "newbie-friendly" enough.

I don't know if others feel this way... Well, it's said now.

Yves.

Hi the Yin Yeti, well I am impressed. I didn't expect such frank statements. The one good thing about posting such a thread is maybe people like your selves will remember the reasons why they came to Linux.

I don't think I have ever met the camaraderie that exists on these forums anywhere else. Linux has become much more than just an alternative to WINDOWS!

Like I have said before - WINDOWS users do not know what they are missing.

Thanks for taking the time to add your views, thoughts etc.

bookie

Edited by bookie

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.