Getting rid of rubbish

bookie

Hi again, been working with MCNLivecd. I was looking at removing excess files before creating a livecd, but found that after first putting the files in the rubbish bin and then emptying the rubbish bin - they still exist?

In an hidden folder /root.local/share/trash I found 793mb of so called erased files?

I was under the impression that when you erased something using Linux it stayed erased?

Can somebody give me some advice on how you can erase so that they don't take up space.

bookie

How exactly do you remove files?

(On the original MCNLive, the filemanager -as user and in root mode- is configured in a way that you can erase everything without the trash.

On a standard MDV installation, the setting is : they first go to trash. And you need to empty the trash first. And if you work -graphically- as root they go to root's trash. If you try to empty the trash again graphically (with a filemanager) they will again go to trash :-)

You can use the command line (rm) to erase files. Or configure the filemanager. Which do you use?

Edited by chris:b

Hi chris:b, I should have said that I was working with the standard MDV installation. I usually send files to the trash/wastepaper basket and then empty that as a user - not from the command line.

I have read about windows users putting files in the rubbish basket and then emptying it without being really erased if you know what I mean. I realize that there are many recovery programs for windows because windows is not that great at erasing. That is why i was surprised to find the 793mb in the folder already mentioned.

I could perhaps start learning removal at the command line like proper Linux users.

bookie

Ok! I think we better start again. The whole point of forums is for we that don't know can learn from you that do. This is one of the reasons I wrote the post To The Linux Masters. Read it, please!!

One of the things we agree to when joining forums is not to be offensive to people? I don't know you from Adam, but I try to give you the respect you deserve because I realize that you are very competent with Linux.

In saying that, I expect the same respect in return and not the offensive comments like in your last post. Do not try to patronize people it doesn't go to making a friendly atmosphere.

i put a question mark after file manager for one reason - I couldn't see the relevance to the question. That was my mistake and I apologize. I of course use konqueror as my file manage - if that puts your mind at rest.

bookie

ext3 and xfs filesystems hold no recovery record for deleted files (on purpose) so when you delete something, this is it- the file can't be recovered unless you do some fancy footwork.

KDE's wastebasket is a desktop gimmick, having nothing to do with the filesystem itself.

To have the folder /root/.local/share/trash empty, simply press shift before delete.

Oh, and running the desktop as root is always an awful idea.

The choice of a filemanager is quite subjective... I use Midnight Commander because it's fastest, feature-rich, and works under any window manager AND without x-server running.

Bookie I am afraid you exposed a bit of a lack of sense of humor or you would have realized that Arctic was jesting with you.

While we all take MUB seriously, we don't forget that it can also be a source of fun.

If you were to look over past months and years posts you would see that.

Arctic would NEVER put down someone for not having a clue. She was laughing with you and not at you in your seeming discovery of what a file manager was.

We have all been there and done that and most of us have burnt the T-shirt. :D

Cheers. John.

Hi AussieJohn, I am at a bit of a loss to know what you are talking about. Arctic has not posted any comments to this thread? Unless you are confusing chris:b and Arctic? Or maybe it is a case of their one and the same person?

If you had taken the time to read my other threads; you would have seen my apologizing to Greg2 and chris:b for losing my cool. If you had taken the time to read further, you would have seen that I live daily with a great deal of pain - which is no excuse for losing my cool with you guys and girls, but It does leave me kind of drained at times.

As for a sense of humor, I think it is hard to judge someone from a few comments written on a forum!

I don't know everything there is to know about Linux - but, then again I don't make assumptions about people I don't know. I have one of the most easy going natures a person could have - plus I am big enough and ugly enough to apologize when I am out of order. There is a definite shortage of people that can admit when their in the wrong - I am not one of them!

So please don't let us get off to bad start just because I was a little hasty in taking offense. When people I don't know behave in a manner I think is condescending - then I will more than likely make a comment.

If I am not anything else, I am honest and sincere!

But I appreciate you taking the time to put me right?

bookie

Well,, I am glad to know that you are who you are - if you know what I mean. It would seem that everyone picked up on me being a little tetchy the other day. I suppose more because people like yourself have been around for a while and are known for their temperament instead of a newcomer like me.

I hope I don't ruffle too many feathers in the future. I am a NICE guy REALLY!! :lol2:

bookie

I am sorry I mentioned Arctics Name, when I really mean't Chris. Older age I think. :D

I had not seen the other posts you referred to at the time you made your apology.

It takes a big person to do that so kudos to you for that. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

As you can now see we are a pretty friendly bunch overall. Have fun with your Linux.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn