AOL broadband [solved]

Guest BazCambridge

Guest BazCambridge

I am desperate to get back to using Mandriva, but the broadband connection I am stuck with in the short term is AOL. Using XP, you need the AOL software to log on with your username and password. Does anyone know if it is possible to log on to AOL from Mandriva?? I do intend to change the connection soon!!

Cheers, Baz

Broadband connections in the UK are PPPOA, and I believe AOL to be the same. Back in the days of dialup, you could dialup to AOL without having to install their software. You should be able to do the same now as well.

I'm presuming you have some type of ADSL USB modem, so you should be able to use KPPP if your using KDE on Mandriva. I would have checked the properties for the connection within Windows to see what it was dialling up - there would have been a dialup network connection within the Network Connections. Usually, the connections are something like:

P 0,38

or something like that from memory when I last used dialup on my laptop for a USB type connection.

Guest BazCambridge

Result!!

Thanks for the replies. However, I chanced upon this and I am now up and running! Worked first time and by by passing AOL software, windows XP now runs twice as fast too.

Cheers, Baz