WYSIWYG Website Editor

ixoye777

Dreamweaver will also run in wine if you don't find a good alternative under Linux. Although for me, I force myself to use the alternatives, and then after a while I find I'm comfortable with nvu, or whatever else is available. Then we're truly Linux-only, than just partially :)

Although to be fair, none could match DreamWeaver last I tried.

On the other hand, if you're going to be very professional about it, wysiwyg is not the way to go.

Yves.

I agree with both these statements. Dreamweaver is both great and easy to use, while most professionals would prefer to work on EditPad (win) or Kate (lin) - absolute control over everything. However, using a texteditor to create html or xml requires advanced syntax knowledge, which is not everyone's cup of tea...

Admittedly, I find that the generated code is verbose and bulky. However, I like Reiver's idea of tweaking the code and adding in more things manually. I've been known to do this before. Unfortunately, in the end, I find that I end up spending about as much time doing this.

I'm with reiver. Use the gui, and if you want to tweak and refine it, go for it later. A lot of the time, I tweak what I need to work and leave the rest. Hey, I just don't have time to clean up and get rid of the unwanted crap :D

In addition, drawing a table with a GUI is a lot quicker than hand coding it.
You shouldn't be using tables unless you're representing tabular data. Otherwise, div's and span's, baby, div's and span's.

As far as WYS....WYSI...WYSIwhogivesacrap, I would suggest learning to make the pages yourself, without any software. Editors such as these just make for unclean and bloated code that can be a pain to get working with the standards (ok, maybe that's a bit of an over generalization, but seriously, ever look at some of the code they make? GAH! Horrid...).

Or maybe I'm just a purist (I wrote my first webpage in notepad...never used any WYSIWYG)